[SOLVED] GPU is not being detected by my OS

Jul 4, 2020
Good day chaps!
I own an MSI Trident X with an RTX 2070 Super. I purchased this computer about 7 months ago and it has worked perfectly until now. Yesterday, however, when I turned it on I got a black screen out of my GPU (No picture at all, it didn't even post). I checked everything I know of (Removed the GPU then reinserted it, I checked the 6 and 8 pin connector, I tried different HDMI cables, and I verified that my monitor is working)., the card is however not showing in my device manager and even in the BIOS, I can find no sign of it.

I am at the moment using my integrated GPU which is working perfectly fine. I also cannot install new drivers for the GPU as it says no Nvidia hardware detected. I am at the moment just praying that my GPU is still alive, as I find it hard to believe that a 700€ GPU will fail after 7 months. What I am going to do now, is bring it to a shop to see if the GPU is still working, if it is then it must be something software related and hopefully not hardware.

What I have not tried yet:
Updating my BIOS (Have to figure out how to do that...)
Checking if the card is working in another machine
... any other ideas?

Specs:
CPU: I7-9700K
GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super Ventus (not OC)
RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 (2666MHz)
PSU: 650W 80 Plus Gold Certified
Mobo: MPG Z390I GAMING EDGE AC (MS-7C04)
(Sorry for the grammar;))

Solution
Fans/leds aren't really a good indication. There may be power going through it to operate them but there's a lot more on the PCB that could go wrong.

Gpu will give you at least a display at post if it's working so don't worry about reinstalling Windows. Windows has nothing to do with post/bios.

Let us know how it goes.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Don't bother updating bios knowing this machine worked before. If it worked before it should work again IF there was no hardware fault. Try the card in another computer or a different gpu in yours.

If iGPU works then that does sound like dumb luck :(

Jul 4, 2020
Don't bother updating bios knowing this machine worked before. If it worked before it should work again IF there was no hardware fault. Try the card in another computer or a different gpu in yours.

If iGPU works then that does sound like dumb luck :(
Thank you for the reply and for saving me some time with the bios :)! Yeah, I am going to try a friends GPU in my computer next. I am going to bring my GPU to a shop on Monday for it to be tested. I don't think it has died, as the fans are still spinning when I power on the PC, the LED´s work as well. Could a reinstall of windows help?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Fans/leds aren't really a good indication. There may be power going through it to operate them but there's a lot more on the PCB that could go wrong.

Gpu will give you at least a display at post if it's working so don't worry about reinstalling Windows. Windows has nothing to do with post/bios.

Let us know how it goes.

Solution
Jul 4, 2020
A Windows reinstall won't help if it's a faulty hardware issue.
What's your PSU make & model?
The PSU is an FSP650-57SAB, but I don't think it is the problem as it is also brand new and not a cheap PSU. 650W should also be sufficient for the 2070 Super. I think I will just wait for the results when the GPU comes back from the shop on Monday. Until then I am going to pray:coldsweat:.

Jul 4, 2020

Let us know how it goes.
Okay, thanks for the info! I will keep you guys updated(y)

Reactions: boju