GPU is not being recognized by computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 20, 2018
I have tried uninstalling the old drivers and installing new ones, however my device manager is still only showing another video device as "Video Controller" whilst my Processor is being used for graphics.

When attempting to Install drivers for the R9 285 off the website the application says "Error 182 - AMD installer cannot properly identify AMD Graphics hardware"

When running an auto detect install it says "The program is already installed"

This is after my motherboard was fried from a vacuum being plugged into the same wall socket as my PC (Dumb), however now after installing a new motherboard this issue has popped up. I've tried cleaning the PCI-E sockets and unplugging the GPU and putting it back in but that didn't work. Its selected to run off the card in BIOS as well. Is my card just fried? The fans still spin up when the PC is on and it seems to be "Detected" but not in the right way.

Thanks for the help.

Solution
There isn't a LED diagnostic display on the motherboard. I assume that there are system LED error indicators. The motherboard is a basic model so there aren't many bells and whistles. I would recommend the case speaker though.
The motherboard may have been damaged. But this problem can happen with new systems as well. There are problems that can develop when switching from Nvidia to AMD graphics cards (and the other way around). Those can usually be cleared up using DDU or thoroughly uninstalling the other drivers.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Other times, doing a fresh install of the operating system will correct the problem.

And lastly, updating the motherboard BIOS (even if it is the latest version) can fix the problem. I had to do this on one of my graphics cards. I did literally everything including replacing the graphics card. After updating the BIOS, the driver updated on the very first try, and installed normally.

May 20, 2018

I hope its not the motherboard after I just had to buy a new one lol, I'll try some of these things and if it comes to it do a fresh windows install and hopefully that'll fix it.

What are your PC components?

If your motherboard doesn't have a LED diagnostic display, a case speaker can provide a lot of troubleshooting information on the motherboard, CPU, and RAM.

Here is an example. The are available from computer and electronics shops or on Amazon.com.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201032&cm_re=case_speaker-_-12-201-032-_-Product

May 20, 2018

8GB DDR4 Ripjaws

Intel I3-6100 @3.70Hz

Radeon R9 285 GPU

Cooler Master Case idk the exact one

MSI H110M PRO-VD Mobo

The Mobo that broke is the same exact one I just bought new, except the new one works obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.