Question GPU is not detected by motherboard

CiprianColegu

Prominent
Nov 30, 2022
Hello! I recently bought a Club 9600 GT 512 mb second hand (the seller said that before he sold it, it was working) and it doesn't get detected by any motherboard that I tested it on (Asus M2N and Gigabyte GA-31M-S2L)
Specs:
CPU: Core 2 duo E7300
Motherboard: Asus P5B
Ram: 6 GB (Apacer and Kingston, had no problem and on memtest86+ there are no problems)
PSU: 650W (Rasurbo I think, some chinese psu)

In every motherboard I tested it, it gives one long beep and three short ones, meaning that there is no graphics adapter installed. I have plugged in the 6 pin power for the GPU. What should I do? The fans spin but nothing on the screen.
Before this I had a Gainward 7600 GT passive cooled and it had no problems. Please help.

Update: I unscrewed the heatsink and found 2 pins corroded (jumper pins) and some traces that have a massive scratch, possibly it has no more continuity. The PCB has copper exposed in some corners and it really doesn't look well. I will try and return it but it is up to the seller if he will refund me. If he doesn't, the only option left for me is to report the account and that's it. Can't really do much since it is not off Ebay.

Last edited:

CiprianColegu

Prominent
Nov 30, 2022
Did he forgot to add that it was like 10 years ago when he last checked? Seriously you think a 15 years old card (at least) is in working condition?
I have a 7600 GT that is in working condition. And even older cards that are still working . I guess it is just dead. Tested it in every motherboard possible. Not even detected.

The 9600gt is likely looking for a UEFI bios which is present on modern motherboards.
Look at your bios. If it is in a format of single monochrome text it is a legacy bios that will not detect a modern card.
Some 9600 cards may have a legacy option switch, but this is unusual.
The GTX7xx series cards was the transition point to switch to uefi for graphics cards. Some later cards did have legacy support as well as UEFI, but it seems hard to tell which ones do.
Similarly, some uefi motherboards will have an option to use legacy to detect graphics cards.

CiprianColegu

Prominent
Nov 30, 2022
The 9600gt is likely looking for a UEFI bios which is present on modern motherboards.
Look at your bios. If it is in a format of single monochrome text it is a legacy bios that will not detect a modern card.
Some 9600 cards may have a legacy option switch, but this is unusual.
The GTX7xx series cards was the transition point to switch to uefi for graphics cards. Some later cards did have legacy support as well as UEFI, but it seems hard to tell which ones do.
Similarly, some uefi motherboards will have an option to use legacy to detect graphics cards.
Thanks, that was actually really useful, didn't know this information! I will test it on my main pc that has a Ryzen 5 5500 and a ASUS Prime B450-Plus.

TRENDING THREADS