Question GPU is randomly detected and the computer restarts after turns off

Nov 21, 2020
Good Morning.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i3-4170 3.70 GHz
MB: Gigabyte H81M-S1
RAM: 8GB Kingston 800.0 MHz (DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800)
PSU: AeroCool KCAS 600W 80 Plus Bronze
GPU: Asus Strix R9 380
HDD: SeaGate Barracuda 1TB

I would like to ask for help with this problem with my PC.

They are two problems that began with a difference of months:
  • The GPU is not detected randomly. Some days it works, other days it doesn't.
  • When I turn off the PC, after 2 or 3 seconds it turns on again. This only happens if I leave it on for long periods of time (more than 6 hours).
The problem with the GPU: it started a year ago and I tried changing the drivers (with DDU and different versions) and finally reinstalled windows 10, with the same result.

Until a few months ago, the only way to get it to work every day was to reset the BIOS and remove the RAM. But this trick no longer seems to work.

I have also checked the connections. At present I have the PC connected by VGA with Motherboard.

Reboot issues: started a few months before the GPU issues. Like GPU problema, it started out being sporadic and thought it was my fault (hit the wrong button). But time has proven that no and now every time I use the computer for a long time (more than 6 or 7 hours) it happens.

The same thing always happens: I turn off the computer, 3 or 4 seconds turn off the computer completely and it turns on again. There is no problem in that session and windows does not report an error.

I have tried the indications in this post with no result: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/pc-restarts-after-shutdown-solved.3573316/

My main suspects are PSU and Motherboard. Or both.

Thanks for reading me.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to source a donor PSU that is reliably built(like something by Seasonic or Corsair) and then power up the system. To me it looks like the PSU is failing to deliver necessary power to the entire system. If the GPU you have works flawlessly on another system with a reliably built PSU, then the issue isn't your GPU or it's drivers, more likely the PSU.

Reactions: dehimos
Nov 21, 2020
Hi.

I have changed the power supply (Corsair CX 650M) and the problems have returned.

I think I have managed to fix the restarts, I checked that I did not do this:
Solution 1.
  1. Go into my computer right click properties
  2. then get into device manager.
  3. Under network adapters find your driver right click and make sure that under power management tab you unclick let device start up computer.

And it's already 3 days without reboots after shutting down.

With the GPU, the problem appeared again on the fourth day (no signal). I turned off PSU and checked that everything was well placed. And it has worked again but with PCIe 4x:
evyAdVh.png

GPU might not be fixed and lose connection?

Thanks for the help.