GPU is running at pci-e x4 instead of x16

steelknightx

Prominent
May 7, 2018
Updated the title to represent the current issue.
My problem now is that the graphics card is running in pci-e x4 instead of x16 even though it's in the right slot. I tested it under load, and it stays the same.

I recently bought a Palit GTX 1060 6Gb, and it seems to be heavily underperforming. I made some research and all my hardware should be compatible with each other (which is an Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 motherboard, AMD FX-6300 processor and 8 gbs of RAM).

I tried playing Kingdom come: Deliverance but the game doesn't have constant 60+ fps even on low.
The card can't even run XCOM 2 on max wih 60 fps. The signs don't show a cpu bottleneck, as all 6 cores were hovering around 75-80% while the gpu was 98-99% while playing CKD.

I tried clean installing the graphics card driver but it didn't help.

Do you have any idea about what the problem could be? I greatly appreciate every little help or tip as this has been bugging me for quite some time.

steelknightx

Prominent
May 7, 2018

Could you please make it more clear what you mean? What should I do in BIOS? Sorry, I'm not very informed about this topic.

Have you tried running any GPU benchmark tests? If you were to run "Heaven', "Valley" or "Superposition" from Unigine, and the post your score and settings, then it would be easy to know if it's the graphics card or not, as these tests don't require too much CPU power. If your scores are acceptable, then it's more likely a CPU or RAM issue.

steelknightx

Prominent
May 7, 2018

I got these results: https://imgur.com/LblouTQ
The score is pretty average for non-OCd GPUs, so I guess it should be a problem with something else...
But what I don't get is then why does MSI Afterburner say that my GPU usage is max while CPU is rarely hitting 90% on each core?

90% on each CPU core is actually very high, while it's common to see a GPU operate at 100%, I've never seen a CPU hit 100%.

Your Heaven score is a little low. At 1920x1080 resolution your score is about right, but at 1680x1050 you should be seeing a bit higher, but you're not really low....could be your CPU is holding it back a bit.

Just for fun I decided to see what my 1060 6GB would do, I have an EVGA Superclocked and it runs at about 2,000MHz depending on it's temperature (using GPU boost 3.0 which is standard on all 1060 cards)
f2Y9Y8b.jpg

TRENDING THREADS