GPU is suddenly running hot?

Scaleo

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Hello,

I have the GTX550 Ti that served me well for the first 4 months I had it.
Since I think 3 or 2 days ago, I see that the GPU is getting really noisy because it is getting hot.
And what I think is really strange, is that a GTX550 Ti is struggling to run a game like Killing floor, because it gets around 80c hot.
Though the game runs good, and the same goes for Black Ops, the GPU did not used to get this hot for COD games and L4D2 and Killing floor.
And at DoW2 Retribution it reaches 86c!
I know that it is summer, but that does not mean that the GPU should get 10c to 15c hotter, am I right?

Scaleo

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

Can some body please help me?

check that the card seated in the slot and that there no wires or dirt in the fan/card. if there nothing blocking the fan i would start the ram from the card vendor...sound like the gpu chip or somthing on the card causing the gpu to pull more power then it needed. you can also download msi afterburner and see what the fan speed and temp are. most 550/560 ti bios default is 41 percent for the fan speed.

Scaleo

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

I am using MSI Afterburner, that is how I know the temperature of the GPU.
But have you any idea how I can fix this?

if the card was older it could be a fan or thermal paste drying out. as it a new card it a hardware issue on the card that your not going to fine unless you take the card apart and have the bench tools to look at coltage and signals on a pcb board. your best bet right now is use the card warranty and rma it. i would also go into msi afterburner and see if you can under clock the video card. if the card shorts out it take your system with it.

TRENDING THREADS