Question GPU is underperforming and crashing

Sep 11, 2022
My GPU started underperform from nothing. I mean there were no signs, no nothing. The fps drastically dropped and random crashes appeared. The screen becomes one color and every peripheral stops working but the pc doesn't stop.

The system:
GPU - GYGABYTE Windforce x3 980ti (bought in the used market in perfect condition 2 years ago)
CPU - Ryzen 5 3500X
Motherboard - ASRock steel legend
RAM - 8x2 Kingston Hyperx 3200
Hard disc - Baracuda 1TB (almost full)
SSD - XPG gammix s11 pro 240 GB (almost full)
PSU - Cooler Master MWE 650 bronze (bought 2 years ago brand new)

The problem is solved. It was all the GPU. I bought a new one and there is no problem whatsoever. I think the old one is just giving up, I mean its 10 years old now I think and it's bought on the launch. 10 years of intense gaming are a lot. So thanks to everyone that tried to help. Love you!!! (no homo)

Last edited:
Reactions: ITF1301

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing or bit-mining?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the times performance drops.

Also use Task Manage and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Determine what changes or happens when the GPU begins to under perform.

Aug 29, 2022
@MonsterWolf I have the exact same problem, It is the card itself in my case, check If the GPU's TDP reachs it's maximum while doing some benchmark like Furmark, oh, and test the card on another system if you can

Sep 11, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing or bit-mining?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the times performance drops.

Also use Task Manage and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Determine what changes or happens when the GPU begins to under perform.
"Determine what changes or happens when the GPU begins to under perform." - the fans start working in a strange way... I mean just start spinning at 100% than 30% than 70% and then 45% and it stays at 45% and this all happens in like 3-4 secs

Ralston18

Titan
"PSU - Cooler Master MWE 650 bronze (bought 2 years ago brand new)."

This PSU?

PSU Reference Link

My first thought is that the PSU may be nearing its' designed in EOL (End of Life) and starting to falter and fail under load.

Especially if the PSU has a history of heavy use.

And if the drives are almost full (what % ?) then that can be problematic as well. Personally I limit my drives to about 80% capacity - that is just me.

The next step is to take a closer look at what the GPU is doing or trying to do. Look at the CPU as well.

Just to determine if some particular process is involved.

And if, possible, do test the GPU in another known working computer.

Otherwise: do you have another known working PSU that can be installed for testing purposes?

My GPU started underperform from nothing. I mean there were no signs, no nothing. The fps drastically dropped and random crashes appeared. The screen becomes one color and every peripheral stops working but the pc doesn't stop.

The system:
GPU - GYGABYTE Windforce x3 980ti (bought in the used market in perfect condition 2 years ago)
CPU - Ryzen 5 3500X
Motherboard - ASRock steel legend
RAM - 8x2 Kingston Hyperx 3200
Hard disc - Baracuda 1TB (almost full)
SSD - XPG gammix s11 pro 240 GB (almost full)
PSU - Cooler Master MWE 650 bronze (bought 2 years ago brand new)
The screen becomes one color and every peripheral stops working but the pc doesn't stop.

That looks like more than gpu problems.

Your psu is not made for gaming it's for office use.