[SOLVED] Gpu isn’t running at 100%

Feb 13, 2019
Hello everyone, I just built my first gaming pc. I do play games competitive so frame rates matter to me.. for some strang reason I am getting a lot of fluctuations in my frames 300-150 and when I try capping at at 240 I never get 240 it’s always lower. On my 2nd monitor I find my gpu to be running at 60ish% my cpu to be running at 40% and my ram at 50%. In game I have almost all the setting set to low...
My computer specs are ryzen 2600x
Asus Cerberus Gtx 1070ti
16gb of 3200 ram
And I do have a cheap Kingston ssd for windows and the game I currently play

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu pre-renders every frame so seems like it can't supply the gpu's fps demand.

Either lower fps more or increase details so fps amount isn't so great to maintain.

Regarding your ram, is that a single stick? As you would probably know Ryzen strives on memory performance and if you are running single channel there is quite a bit of cpu muscle missing despite memory running at 3200. 2x 2133 is faster than 1x3200, imagine 2x 3200.

Feb 13, 2019
Cpu pre-renders every frame so seems like it can't supply the gpu's fps demand.

Either lower fps more or increase details so fps amount isn't so great to maintain.

Regarding your ram, is that a single stick? As you would probably know Ryzen strives on memory performance and if you are running single channel there is quite a bit of cpu muscle missing despite memory running at 3200. 2x 2133 is faster than 1x3200, imagine 2x 3200.
Oh I really meant to say 16gigs my bad it was around 2am 😂

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu pre-rendering is like handing over an outline of a drawing for the gpu to colour in. More drawings the gpu wants the more cpu needs to outline. There's more to it than that but that's putting it simply.

Cpu's lack there of or restricted performance can hinder how many fps the gpu does.

Is xmp/amp or docp enabled in the bios to run memory at 3200? By default ram is set to native non OC speeds between 2133~2666 until this is changed in the bios. What motherboard do you have?

Check memory frequency is set to 3200 in the bios.

I've read Ryzen likes Windows power plan set to optimal/balance rather than being set to high performance.

Feb 13, 2019
Cpu pre-rendering is like handing over an outline of a drawing for the gpu to colour in. More drawings the gpu wants the more cpu needs to outline. There's more to it than that but that's putting it simply.

Cpu's lack there of or restricted performance can hinder how many fps the gpu does.

Is xmp/amp or docp enabled in the bios to run memory at 3200? By default ram is set to native non OC speeds between 2133~2666 until this is changed in the bios. What motherboard do you have?

Check memory frequency is set to 3200 in the bios.

I've read Ryzen likes Windows power plan set to optimal/balance rather than being set to high performance.
mhm interesting, amma give the optimal/performance setting a try right now, I have a strix b450-f motherboard. And yes I did some minor oc on my ram to 3266 or something like that. So regarding cpu-rendering is there a way to idk like force the gpu to do all the rendering??

boju

Titan
Ambassador
na not possible.

See this video, there are some aspects he explains that relate to what i mean.

Check with your friends as well game graphic settings/ resolution / antialiasing / & resolution scaling if they use any.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019
For high refresh rate you're going to need Intel's 1ghz + boost frequency over AMD along with their ring bus architecture and ability to overclock even further.
I do know that intel offers better gaming performance, but when it was my time to buy a cpu it was 8400vs2600x 6 threads vs 12.... and I decided to go for the amd for having double the threads

Feb 13, 2019
I read through it, and did as suggested, will be giving a try.... the video you sent shows some kind of an increase on cpu usage the higher his fps goes.... Mine do tend to stay the same after 140fps. And I do have ryzen balanced mode, do you think that will give me better results than windows balanced or should I just follow the reddit forum?

Feb 13, 2019
Great News! Thats post did seem to help significantly, I am getting a way more higher stable frame rate!! my frames arent dropping below 240 as much, I capped it at 300 and that seems to work perfectly, so did 240, I do get a weird "glitch" in the game that says my game isnt running at full 240fps but my monitor built in fps seems to show 240hz so, if my monitor isnt catching that who am I to catch it lol. Cheers!!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Interesting article. Seems improved balance power plan update was scheduled but did it happen? Not sure.

Would an update of that nature, an Amd power plan profile be done via a bios or Windows update? Not sure on that either.

Perhaps problems with balance profile has been addressed somewhat because i have read a report by someone with their own experience of it performing better than high performance. Maybe not.

I've read about an hidden ultimate power plan feature in Win10. Not sure how affective it would be for Ryzen, maybe it forces those settings suggested at Reddit.

¯\_(ツ) _/¯

Feb 13, 2019
Interesting article. Seems improved balance power plan update was scheduled but did it happen? Not sure.

Would an update of that nature, an Amd power plan profile be done via a bios or Windows update? Not sure on that either.

Perhaps problems with balance profile has been addressed somewhat because i have read a report by someone with their own experience of it performing better than high performance. Maybe not.

I've read about an hidden ultimate power plan feature in Win10. Not sure how affective it would be for Ryzen, maybe it forces those settings suggested at Reddit.

¯\_(ツ) _/¯
lol sorry to bother you, but I dont think it worked, it did help but trying other games showed otherwise, its not that the game isnt smooth enough it just drives me crazy knowing i spent soo much money on hardware that at the moment I dont need.cranking the setting up does seem to put more load at the gpu but the cpu usage is unaffected not sure whats happeing.... potentially post a forum in cpu? maybe ppl have tips for more efficient processing? it cant be the ssd can it? I do have some logos being corrupted..... can it be its messing with the drivers? I am getting some weird crashes, not sure what is causing them...... temperature seems to be fine cpu at 52 c...... I might get a new ssd and install a brand new version of windows and drivers, but does this sound like a potential problem from ssd?

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019
@boju it might be that I didnt unistall my old gpu driver... I had a 1060 and it was getting maxed out, so i did replace it with the 1070ti. Nevertheless I am going to wait until I get my new ssd

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Possibly gpu drivers. Could try use DDU in safemode to wipe Nvidia drivers and try an older driver. 388 series drivers are said to perform the best for 10 series. Worth trying.

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverresults.aspx/126903/en-us

Regarding SSD, how big is it? Smaller SSDs need to be wary how much space is left because not enough can degrade performance of the drive. Some say should keep atleast 20GB free.

Pagefile can be another issue. Windows is constantly changing it's size and if left on self managed it can get quite large despite having 16GB ram.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/increase-page-file-size-virtual-memory-windows

Can try manually changing initial & maximum size to different amounts. 1024MB/1024MB or 5GB/5GB initial and maximum.

Feb 13, 2019
Possibly gpu drivers. Could try use DDU in safemode to wipe Nvidia drivers and try an older driver. 388 series drivers are said to perform the best for 10 series. Worth trying.

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverresults.aspx/126903/en-us

Regarding SSD, how big is it? Smaller SSDs need to be wary how much space is left because not enough can degrade performance of the drive. Some say should keep atleast 20GB free.

Pagefile can be another issue. Windows is constantly changing it's size and if left on self managed it can get quite large despite having 16GB ram.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/increase-page-file-size-virtual-memory-windows

Can try manually changing initial & maximum size to different amounts. 1024MB/1024MB or 5GB/5GB initial and maximum.
I am running a 120gb ssd and a 1tb hhd there is like 30gb on my ssd. I did get a new ssd, this is however should be faster and has more storage than my last one, everything is still returnable so no worries there. I am going to try to do a clean install of windows... and as a question do you prefer downloading gpu driver from asus website or nvidia since it is not a founder edition.