Question Gpu isnt being detected when uefi is select

Jul 26, 2024
I installed a pwoercolor red devilrx 580 into a dell vostro 270(shares same mobo as inspiron 660) no OS installed yet, I triedbooting into bios with hdmi plugged into the rx580 it gave me no dignal screen on monitor so i pluggedinto motherboard and it worked i then changed to legacy mode and disabled secure boot and enabled legacy oprom and then it worked when plugged into gpu, but uefi and secure boot are more recent and better so im wonderng what issue is thats making it unable for gpu to display when in uefi and secure boot please help.🙏🙏 psu is changed to a 650w and cpu is i7 3770.

Jul 26, 2024
Just incase anyone is wondering the colors of the bios are white and blue and it's controlled with arrow keys idk if it matters but there is a uefi and secure boot option so im confused why that wouldn't work

Jul 26, 2024
What is the make/model of the PSU? Also, do you have the PCIe power cables firmly attached to the RX 580?
Yes it's firmly attached leds are on fans spinning it posts when in legacy mode but not uefi the psu model is corsair tx650m everything is recentish except the mobo I'm using it temporarily but would still like to get the best I can out of it

COLGeek

Cybernaut
That motherboard was usually configured with low power GPUs, so I am wondering if the PCIe X16 slot is providing the full 75w that a normal slot would provide.

Is there anything stenciled about wattage on the motherboard, near that slot?

Also, are you certain the RX 580 works?

To clarify, does the RX 580 work "properly" in legacy mode? I am not clear on your original post.

I installed a pwoercolor red devilrx 580 into a dell vostro 270(shares same mobo as inspiron 660) no OS installed yet, I triedbooting into bios with hdmi plugged into the rx580 it gave me no dignal screen on monitor so i pluggedinto motherboard and it worked i then changed to legacy mode and disabled secure boot and enabled legacy oprom and then it worked when plugged into gpu, but uefi and secure boot are more recent and better so im wonderng what issue is thats making it unable for gpu to display when in uefi and secure boot please help.🙏🙏 psu is changed to a 650w and cpu is i7 3770.
Test display port.

RX580 was launched about the time when legacy bios transitioned to uefi.
Likely, your RX580 was a legacy version. Some cards had a legacy/uefi switch.
Look for one on your card.
If the bios on your motherboard is current, the uefi settings may have an option for CSM which should detect the RX580.
Try that.
If all else fails, do not worry; secure boot only insures that you must boot with the windows that was installed.
There should not be any operational issues.

Jul 26, 2024
That motherboard was usually configured with low power GPUs, so I am wondering if the PCIe X16 slot is providing the full 75w that a normal slot would provide.

Is there anything stenciled about wattage on the motherboard, near that slot?

Also, are you certain the RX 580 works?

To clarify, does the RX 580 work "properly" in legacy mode? I am not clear on your original post.
Yes it works properly no hindrances with display so far I can access everything in legacy mode, yeah it should give the full 75w since ppl are running 1650 1660 and 1060s on this as seen on userbenchmark and other forums I just am confused as to why uefi is not enabled idk a thing about drivers or bios versions so I've touched none of that.

Jul 26, 2024
RX580 was launched about the time when legacyhttps://imgur.com/a/5YVpzsQ bios transitioned to uefi.
Likely, your RX580 was a legacy version. Some cards had a legacy/uefi switch.
Look for one on your card.
If the bios on your motherboard is current, the uefi settings may have an option for CSM which should detect the RX580.
Try that.
If all else fails, do not worry; secure boot only insures that you must boot with the windows that was installed.
There should not be any operational issues.
I added an image I'm not sure what that is

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yes it works properly no hindrances with display so far I can access everything in legacy mode, yeah it should give the full 75w since ppl are running 1650 1660 and 1060s on this as seen on userbenchmark and other forums I just am confused as to why uefi is not enabled idk a thing about drivers or bios versions so I've touched none of that.
I asked because I came across a source saying the slot only provided 30w.

The switch you found likely won't change the behavior. Looks like that is to enabled/disable a factory overclocking profile.

Was your RX 580 previously used for crypto mining?

Is your motherboard BIOS fully updated?

Jul 26, 2024
I asked because I came across a source saying the slot only provided 30w.

The switch you found likely won't change the behavior. Looks like that is to enabled/disable a factory overclocking profile.

Was your RX 580 previously used for crypto mining?

Is your motherboard BIOS fully updated?
No it probably wasn't, I don't know anything about bios or how to update it so im at a loss for that

The RX 580 is a real pain to get to work in a Dell of that age in UEFI. I think it's a Dell side issue.

Case in point Dell XPS 8300 only had legacy Bios RX 580 works just fine.

Dell XPS 9100 from 2010 RX 580 in legacy works just fine.

Dell XPS 8500 from 2012 with UEFI and updated bios RX 580 still at least for me would not boot only black screens.

Dell Inspiron 5680 from 2018 with UEFI RX 580 boots just fine.