Question Gpu issue BETTER performance on battery mode?!? 7-10 FPS on Heaven benchmark. Need ideas to test

May 13, 2020
Hi, thank's for reading, i really need new ideas, i've tried everything i know.

-Index
-- Problem Statement
-- Specs
-- Test made
-- Direct Question

Problem statement:
Suddenly all visual application (i.e games) started to lag and went down to 10 FPS. The gpu works when i use it for coding with cuda and the gpu memory is fine, however the lag does not allow me to watch high resolution videos use the second monitor smoothly and play any game. When i use the laptop in battery mode the performance are better but still laggy :muro:

Specs:
This laptop. Basically gpu nvidia 1060 6GB and Intel UHD 620, 1920 display, i7 and all the typical stuff. Eventually an external monitor 2k from HP.
Driver installed: Nvidia 445.87 (updated to 12/05), Intel Chipset_Intel_CFL_W10_64_V101175418066 (updated to 12/05), Bios AS.311 (last update).
If need futher information pls contact me.

Test made
I've made a video to show the problem with some dignostic tool enabled (black screen between a/c and battery mode)
So far i tried:
-any configuration for nvidia control panel following several tutoria on parameter tuning as this.
-any combination for power manager settings
-testing memory with GpuMemTest
-changing termal paste and cleaning fan
-reinstalling windows keeping files
-change ssd with a newone and clean install windows
-use older version for Gpu Intel and Bios driver
-disable nvidia gpu and reinstalling it with DDU
-disable intel gpu and reinstalling it with DDU (using external screen to bypass integrated GPU)

Direct Question
How can i exclude that my nvidia gpu have hardware issue?
What other test should i do?
Could lag in laptop be caused by badly/broken power distribution?
Any idea to resolve my problems?

Note:
I will do my best to fast reply but i have time only on weekends :cav:. I will try to install ubuntu and make some test with unix next week.
Thank's a lot for your help. If i'm missing something or abusing please let me know.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
May 13, 2020
Thank's for helping me lga1156_ftw.

The charger is original, the laptop has 1 year but it is out of warranty. I don't have any charger with the same voltage but I will do my best to find a similar one to do a test (unlikely since it is an unconventional 19.3V). The battery is soldered I could disconnect it from the motherboard if you think it can matter.

So you think is an energy power problem? how do you reconize it? for the low clock speed of the gtx 1060?

Have a nice day, i will try some of this test on week end.

I guess this voided it "-changing termal paste and cleaning fan "

Can you visit a computer repair shop and ask them to test with right charger or power supply on theyre own, DO not use any unconventional , replacement chargers, this is a expensive laptop you dont want to kill the circuitry.

Battery should not be soldered in, look closely how he removes it, just take it from the case, assembly back completely and test how its working without :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ky08EJ03k

If that wont work you can try CMOS reset aswell, First after disassemblying the cover disconnect MAIN battery connector from the motherboard then you can see small battery pack on the disassembly video below the nvme what hes removing at 2min35sec, you need to first remove the nvme like he did then disconnect the cmos battery connector its below the nvme, after removing the battery wait 10-15minutes then put it back., then install back nvme and LAST battery connector and disassembly it back.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020
Hi lga1156_ftw I've tried removing the battery following the video.
Unfortunately as you can see in the video at minute 1:30 the battery pins have a metal cover. While I was taking it out, the right side touched some circuit or resistance. It smelled burnt and my adventure ends here. 1000 euros wasted. I'm going to cry and think about suicide. Obviously it's my fault and the suggestion to do tests by removing the battery was understandable and correct. However, if someone else will read these posts, be careful when removing the battery. Leave it to unload for a few days and say a prayer before removing it. :coldsweat:
bye

Thats sad To hear. You actually didnt remove battery connector when you replaced thermal paste earlier?

Im at work currently but Will post later Hope we can figure this out what got damaged.

Edit: im looking at the battery connector now now. Do not try To boot the laptop and remove the battery To prevent further damage, take the laptop To near third party repair Shop and tell them exactly what happened. It might be easy fix, did the burnt smell Come from battery Or motherboard?

Last edited:
Thats my bad too for suggesting it, but i thought you where familiar with removing battery connector since you already repasted the gpu/cpu. It can cause a short if you do it with battery connected.

Worst case scenario its the motherboard which needs to be replaced but most likely technician can do component level repair on it. If there is visible burned component/s can you take a picture of it and upload here?

May 13, 2020
Thanks for the advice, even too kind! I removed the fans to clean them without removing the battery and maybe that was the origin of the problems? While when I changed the thermal paste I had removed it. However I was just luky the first time.
Thanks for the advice, even too kind! I had to remove the fans to clean them without removing the battery and maybe that was the origin of the problems? Unfortunately, my stubbornness in wanting to fix the PC on my own made me overestimate my skills. The shops have only reopened since Monday due to the virus (I'm from Italy). So now I'm hearing stores to fix the motherboard. When i will resolve the issue i will tell you.

To answer your question the smell come from the motherboard in the top left or mid corner. I will try also to send it to asus but for shure they will refuse the warranty. Anyway how should i have removed the battery connector? is there a video explaining? So next time maby i will burn a notebook a bit later on the process of repairing it :eek::D

You lost the warranty already before this happened since you replaced thermal paste. Its better never to use anything metallic when you remove connectors , expecially before power cable / laptop battery connector is removed, after that you can still do damage to the motherboard (physical) if your not careful.

There is about 50% change motherboard can be repaired, lets hope thats the case. Just take it to repair shop, shouldnt cost more than 200 for repair if they get it to work.