Mar 4, 2019
Firstly, thanks :)

SO. I've had this issue for quite a bit of time now. For some odd reason, my games tend to get choppy after around 45 minutes of use (this is a variable, it could be much sooner). Restarts tend to fix the issue on some occasions, however, it's a pretty large inconvenience.

I play games like Minecraft, Dota, and CSGO mainly.

For Dota and CSGO, I hover around 80 fps and 250 fps respectively. However, the game looks extremely choppy. As for Minecraft, the game looks choppy, but it also drops in frames, dipping from ~250 (which is VERY low for the specs I have. I should be reaching higher frames) to 70, but looks much lower.

I've tried MANY different drivers, only a couple of which work. Some of the ones that I have installed made my computer freezes every few seconds, so after a while, I found a version that works.

My specs:

Ryzen 5 2600 OC'd to 3.9ghz
RX 580 Asus DUAL 8GB
MSI G24C 1080p 144hz (DP) 24'' and some Acer 1080p 24'' (HDMI)
EVGA 450W
Corsair RAM 16GB 3000mhz RGB
if you need anything else I can also list it.
Using:
Radeon Software Version

Lutfij

Titan
You should be having to go through drivers that frequently. In retrospect, I noticed you've got a 450W EVGA PSU, what is the exact model of the unit? How old is it? Ideally you should've looked at a higher wattage unit with 550W~650W at the system's disposal.

You also want to list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
Your psu is a little anemic, but choppy video would probably be thermal throttling from your cpu. Monitor your temps while gaming. See if your cpu is getting hot right around when the video gets choppy.

Mar 4, 2019
You should be having to go through drivers that frequently. In retrospect, I noticed you've got a 450W EVGA PSU, what is the exact model of the unit? How old is it? Ideally you should've looked at a higher wattage unit with 550W~650W at the system's disposal.

You also want to list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
EVGA 450 BT 80+ bronze

Mar 4, 2019
Your psu is a little anemic, but choppy video would probably be thermal throttling from your cpu. Monitor your temps while gaming. See if your cpu is getting hot right around when the video gets choppy.
What do you mean by anemic?

And I can check to see the temps. If this is an issue, how would I go about solving it?

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
By anemic I mean it is a little low for your set up. The 580 suggests a minimum psu of 500 watts. If you are getting high temps you can either adjust cpu fan speed to run faster and see if that helps, or you can buy another cpu cooler fan.

Lutfij

Titan
A deficiency in power to GPU can cause hiccups with your GPU as you've stated. The rule with troubleshooting is the process of elimination. For you and your system, jcurtoboi, the issue(at first glance) stems from the PSU. If you had ample power for the entire system from a reliably built PSU, we would've suggested tackling BIOS updates, drivers and then the OS as a last resort.

Given that the details have been spilled, most often people try to disregard that they have a lackluster PSU and just blame it on other events.