[SOLVED] GPU Issue.

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Hi,

I just installed my new 2070 Super from Gigabyte but i'm facing an issue i've never had before and i have no idea what to do.

When i'm launching and run a game without V-sync it has,probably Coil Whine,a continuous high electrical sound that can change a little bit depending on what happens on the game.(100% not a fan issue.Sound occurs even before fans start spinning).
With V-sync on,the annoying sound goes away,but there are FPS drops from 75 to 65 or whatever which can be really noticable.

The GPU's performance is actually terrible.(1080p resolution)
Euro truck simulator 2 like 120 fps average.(My 1660Ti can give double the amount easily) Ultra Settings
Rise of the tomb raider less that 130 on high detail scenes.Benchmarks for this game give a average 206 FPS.(Not even remotely close to that.) Almost Ultra Settings
GTA V from 80-160 on High Settings not Ultra.

I'm using 2 PCI-E cables from the PSU.( 1x8pin and 1x6pin )
GPU's thermals are normal.
Wattage consumption according to GPU-Z is normal.
Every other setting change from NVIDIA's control panel does nothing for performance and the sound.

PSU: Corsair RM650x 2018 Edition.I own it for 3-4 months.
Motherboard: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Monitor: AOC G2590... 75Hz 1080p G sync compatible
GPU: Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC 3X White
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3.200MHz

Please any help would be nice.

Solution
If you bump up the resolution you may have an fps boost because the gpu would be completely utilized.

When it comes to the buzzing noise it indeed is coil whine and theres no real easy fix to it its very common on higher end cards.
Coil whine however will not affect performance on your card and will not harm your components in the long run. It is annoying but theres nothing you can do about it basically.
If you bump up the resolution you may have an fps boost because the gpu would be completely utilized.

When it comes to the buzzing noise it indeed is coil whine and theres no real easy fix to it its very common on higher end cards.
Coil whine however will not affect performance on your card and will not harm your components in the long run. It is annoying but theres nothing you can do about it basically.

Reactions: DeanTH23
Solution

Ferimer

Distinguished
Hi,

I just installed my new 2070 Super from Gigabyte but i'm facing an issue i've never had before and i have no idea what to do.

When i'm launching and run a game without V-sync it has,probably Coil Whine,a continuous high electrical sound that can change a little bit depending on what happens on the game.(100% not a fan issue.Sound occurs even before fans start spinning).
With V-sync on,the annoying sound goes away,but there are FPS drops from 75 to 65 or whatever which can be really noticable.

The GPU's performance is actually terrible.(1080p resolution)
Euro truck simulator 2 like 120 fps average.(My 1660Ti can give double the amount easily) Ultra Settings
Rise of the tomb raider less that 130 on high detail scenes.Benchmarks for this game give a average 206 FPS.(Not even remotely close to that.) Almost Ultra Settings
GTA V from 80-160 on High Settings not Ultra.

I'm using 2 PCI-E cables from the PSU.( 1x8pin and 1x6pin )
GPU's thermals are normal.
Wattage consumption according to GPU-Z is normal.
Every other setting change from NVIDIA's control panel does nothing for performance and the sound.

PSU: Corsair RM650x 2018 Edition.I own it for 3-4 months.
Motherboard: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Monitor: AOC G2590... 75Hz 1080p G sync compatible
GPU: Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce OC 3X White
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3.200MHz

Please any help would be nice.
Did you make sure to uninstall any and all drivers from your previous GPu and all drivers for this are up to date?

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Did you make sure to uninstall any and all drivers from your previous GPu and all drivers for this are up to date?
I was using a 1660Ti on this system.
I posted here asking if it's necessary to uninstall the drivers and also asked the same on Nvidia's customer support... Conclusion was that it's fine to keep the 1660Ti's drivers since it's the same with the RTX series.
The current driver I'm using is the 451.48 which i'm pretty sure it's the latest.

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019

1080p is the max resolution that i can troubleshoot on right now.
The coil whine that i'm experiencing it's actually unbearable so can i ask for a replacement if the performance issues can't be fixed?

Ferimer

Distinguished
I was using a 1660Ti on this system.
I posted here asking if it's necessary to uninstall the drivers and also asked the same on Nvidia's customer support... Conclusion was that it's fine to keep the 1660Ti's drivers since it's the same with the RTX series.
The current driver I'm using is the 451.48 which i'm pretty sure it's the latest.
I've seen people say the same thing about GPUs and the person has went ahead and did the uninstall and heard them having improvements. you aren't going to lose anything other than the old drivers which are irrelevant now anyway. I doubt it would fix the whine issue though. so asking for a replacement would be best.

I've seen people say the same thing about GPUs and the person has went ahead and did the uninstall and heard them having improvements. you aren't going to lose anything other than the old drivers which are irrelevant now anyway. I doubt it would fix the whine issue though. so asking for a replacement would be best.
No it wont fix coil whine since its not a software based issue. You RMA it if the coil whine is very audible through headphones while gaming.

You will always have coil whine no matter what. I got very bad coil whine when i first got my strix vega 56 but now its almost inaudible at +300fps in csgo for an example.

When it comes to the performance issue you can try and use DDU and reinstall your drivers cleanly afterwards.
Tutorial here

Could u also make an UserBenchmark test and give the link to your results to see if it detects any malfunction in your hardware.

Ferimer

Distinguished
No it wont fix coil whine since its not a software based issue. You RMA it if the coil whine is very audible through headphones while gaming.

You will always have coil whine no matter what. I got very bad coil whine when i first got my strix vega 56 but now its almost inaudible at +300fps in csgo for an example.

When it comes to the performance issue you can try and use DDU and reinstall your drivers cleanly afterwards.
Tutorial here

Could u also make an UserBenchmark test and give the link to your results to see if it detects any malfunction in your hardware.
I just wanted to let him know that it wouldn't fix his coil whine, but removing old drivers is always a good thing

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Update:

I reinstalled graphics drivers
Updated motherboard's BIOS
Reseated the 2070 Super.
Nothing changed.

Then i replaced 2070 Super with my 1660Ti and now even this card has coil whine+permanent VGA light on motherboard but i get display normally.
1660Ti's performance is kinda worse than before.

TRENDING THREADS