[SOLVED] GPU Issue?

muralikris.b

Reputable
Sep 6, 2018
Hello,

So I have been having this issue lately (Probably since the last week) where the display output goes blank when I start a game or sometimes even before booting to desktop. I get the dreaded "no signal" on my monitor. The weird thing is that when this happens my PC remains on, I know this for a fact because the RGB lighting including the one on my TUF RTX 3080 OC and processor are still running. I can even operate the keyboard. I did not see any sign of power supply tripping or a system shutdown. Just a blank screen with the PC still working. I have to manually do a hard reboot to get it to boot again. One observation is that when this happens, the subsequent tries lights up the white error LED on my mobo indicating a GPU failure. This happens for a few tries cant say how many exactly, but then it does recover after a few reboot attempts and I get a display out. When I do manage to get it up and running, I tried running some games and it works fine again! (I dont see any artifacting or anything to suggest that the GPU is the issue, I get the FPS I am supposed to get in all games), until the cycle repeats!.

I have tried nearly all troubleshooting procedures, Windows fresh install, DDU cleanup and reinstall, dial back to default settings, do a ram test to eliminate possibility of dead ram sticks, reseat the GPU on the PCI-E slot and trying another slot etc.. I also tried installing the GPU on another PC and observed the same behavior, thus eliminating a mobo failure, Although I still used the same power supply that I use on my main PC for this test so I am not sure if that is the culprit. I am out of options at the moment and desperate!, Can someone please suggest anything else I can do to eliminate few other possible loopholes?. Part of me thinks that it might be the PSU because mine has been running for over 6 years and is due for a change, but part of me thinks that`s not the issue as the PC does not restart or shut down by itself. Please help guys..

Spec:
RTX 3080 TUF OC
Seasonic X760W Gold
Ryzen 5800x
Asus B550F Gaming Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000Mhz

Solution
That unit is up there in age(there are reviews present from over 10 years ago), and psus do 'age'. Use a different psu when trying the gpu in a different PC.

Don't have another psu to test with? Then use Msi Afterburner, and apply a 50% power limit and test again. My mistake, 71% appears to be the lowest it can go, according to the vbios files.
Make sure you unlink the power and temperature limits when you do that.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That unit is up there in age(there are reviews present from over 10 years ago), and psus do 'age'. Use a different psu when trying the gpu in a different PC.

Don't have another psu to test with? Then use Msi Afterburner, and apply a 50% power limit and test again. My mistake, 71% appears to be the lowest it can go, according to the vbios files.
Make sure you unlink the power and temperature limits when you do that.

Solution