Question GPU issues - RX 6700 XT

Sep 2, 2023
GPU or PSU issue? Parts list here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FKJbC6

I've had this build for a little over a year with no issues. Recently, nothing would display on monitor when PC was turned on and motherboard showed red vga light. The GPU fans were spinning but still no display. Drivers are up to date, I reseated GPU and RAM, cleared motherboard CMOS, and tried different display ports with no luck. I switched out the GPU with my older RX 580 and system boots and works fine now. This is where my possible issue of the PSU comes in, would it be possible for my GPU to start failing now because I was using a single PCIe split cable for the GPU? I would think this wouldn't be an issue as I've had no problems until now, but I see debates about this online. If this is the case, I would have to replace my PSU as my current one doesn't support two dedicated PCIe cables (might be wrong, not too well versed with this). I'm concerned if I were to get a new GPU and use the same PSU, that this issue would happen again a year from now if I run it with a single PCIe cable. Am I overthinking this and just need to replace my GPU lol?

GPU or PSU issue? Parts list here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FKJbC6

I've had this build for a little over a year with no issues. Recently, nothing would display on monitor when PC was turned on and motherboard showed red vga light. The GPU fans were spinning but still no display. Drivers are up to date, I reseated GPU and RAM, cleared motherboard CMOS, and tried different display ports with no luck. I switched out the GPU with my older RX 580 and system boots and works fine now. This is where my possible issue of the PSU comes in, would it be possible for my GPU to start failing now because I was using a single PCIe split cable for the GPU? I would think this wouldn't be an issue as I've had no problems until now, but I see debates about this online. If this is the case, I would have to replace my PSU as my current one doesn't support two dedicated PCIe cables (might be wrong, not too well versed with this). I'm concerned if I were to get a new GPU and use the same PSU, that this issue would happen again a year from now if I run it with a single PCIe cable. Am I overthinking this and just need to replace my GPU lol?

I'm thinking an Evga BQ 600W PSU which is a low-end unit has only has one dedicated PCIe cable for a good reason which is that it is unsuitable to run a high-power draw graphics card requiring 2 power cables.

Having said that you should check because I'm not sure it may have 2 connectors for PCIe. Even if it does you really should get a better-rated power supply, yes I know they are expensive but not as expensive as replacing failed parts such as graphics cards.

Last edited: