GPU Keeps Crashing

Morzak911

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
So I'va had this R7 370 for about 2 years now and it's been great for 1080p gaming, i've recently been getting into Black desert online and it's doing it's job put it that way however about a month ago i started getting these moments where my screen would go black and after about 10-15 seconds my game would come back with a DRAMATICALLY reduced framerate from 40-50 fps on black desert to not being able to go over 7 (no matter where i look) i've actually done alot of looking into this and alot of sources including this site say it's a psu issue however just yesterday i replaced my aerocool 500w 80+bronze with a 750w thermaltake 80+bronze $140 down the drain i guess (but hey... RGB :D) so it cant be that, i've also run black desert with the side panel off to make sure i wasn't squishing my psu cords and at one point i didn't even run them through the back, also this happens with almost evey game for instance i was playing kiling floor 1 and this happned, so i am really confused on what this could be i'm only using around 40% of my VRAM and i've made sure my temps don't go over 80c and i'm not getting any artifacting though it may be worth saying my gpu usage shoots up straight to %100 and only occasionaly comes down to a lowest of %91 not completely sure if that has something to do with it, if it helps here are my system specs. It may be worth saying that to fix this i change the resolution from 1080p then the frame rate goes back up and then i switch back to 1080p however if it happens once it keeps at it (even if i stay on that resolution) and the more it happens the less time in between crashes. Also i'm using asus gpu tweak and when these crashes happen and my frame rate drops my memory clock and core clock go really low as if i were on idle and stay there even when the game comes back on it's low frames.

Asus Strix R7 370 2GB
FX 8350 overclocked to 4.6ghz
16gb of ddr3 hyperx blu ram
2 1 tb seagate hard drives (not sure what rpm sorry)
Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB 750W Bronze Fully Modular Power Supply
Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 motherboard
And a 120mm ID cooling AIO for the cpu cooler

also the core clock is 1050mhz and the memory clock is 5600mhz and my voltage is set to 1190mv by defult power, however when the crash happens my core clock goes to 150mhz and the memory to 600mhz on idle before any crashes core clock sits at 300mhz and the memory sits at the same 600mhz on idle.
any help would be greatly appreciated ty in advance.

Solution

i believe windows update might have updated your graphic driver which prevent you from overclocking.but as long as it works(even at stock clock) i would be happy.however if u still want to try overclocking i suggest running DDU and reinstalling an official AMD driver.

Morzak911

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
Looks like the windows update helped by helped i mean i can now run at stock stats and expirience no crashes however even the slightest overclock seems to create crashes but it has stopped at defualt seetings for my gpu, would you reccomend any other things to do?

kookie3010

Honorable

i believe windows update might have updated your graphic driver which prevent you from overclocking.but as long as it works(even at stock clock) i would be happy.however if u still want to try overclocking i suggest running DDU and reinstalling an official AMD driver.

Solution