[SOLVED] GPU Load vs GPU Clock issues

Sep 14, 2019
Ladies and Gents,

I have searched on and off for a few weeks now and can't quite seem to find an explanation that applied directly to the issues I'm having (not to say this thread doesn't exist) so I figured I would finally just make an account and ask.

I have been noticing significantly inconsistent performance while gaming over the past handful of months and have tried everything I can think of, and have hit a limit to my knowledge about how things work. An example of my issue, that sums up what I have been dealing with is, about 4 days ago I was playing Sea of Thieves with my brother and I was getting (what I would expect is) nominal performance for the set up I have (see below) which is about 45ish FPS at middle of the road settings. However, when I logged in today to play I cannot get above 10 FPS without turning the settings down to rock bottom. Of note here, when I go into the graphics settings within the game, and set the graphics profile to "Suggested Settings" it sets them to the medium settings that I got that 45FPS on. I'm guessing this setting generally looks at what hardware is available and sets the options accordingly, however today when using that, I was only getting 8 FPS.

I have GPU-Z installed and have monitored it while playing games and have noticed that, regardless of what game I play, my GPU Usage is maxed out, but my clock speed hovers around the 830-850 MHz range, when my stock clock speed is 1354 MHz. Even if I try overclocking a bit to compensate it does not increase the clock speed it is running at. The GPU temp while all this is happening never crosses 50 and generally hovers around 47. My CPU temps hang out around 70 degrees, with both my RAM and my GPU dedicated memory only using about half of what is there. On GPU-Z, the only thing that is maxed out is my GPU usage, and in the performance tab of the Task Manager, the only thing maxed out is the 3D part of my GPU

I guess a question that pops into my head is, if the GPU Usage is maxed out (which means all the shaders are in use, correct?) my clock speed gets capped? But more importantly, how do I get the usage of my GPU to line up more with the max clock speed so I can consistently get decent performance in games?

Components:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
GPU BIOS Version: 86.07.3C.00.31
GPU Memory: GDDR5 - 4GBs
GPU Driver: 26.21.14.3615 (NVIDIA 463.15), Aug 24, 2019
System Ram: 16 GB @ 2400 MHz
CPU: i7-7700 @ 2.8Ghz

P.S. I'm sure there's other data needed to get a better idea of the issue. Let me know what would be helpful and I can get it. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Solution
No, 70C is nowhere close to thermal throttling for any recent CPU. If you've already tried a clean install of windows/drivers, I'd see if there are any BIOS updates available. If that doesn't do it, may be time to contact the laptop manufacturer for support.
Sep 14, 2019
how do you get pictures on here? I was gonna upload an image of it, but I can drop the specs and part number here. Just to be sure, the PSU on a laptop is the AC adapter that's integrated into the power chord right? Of do you need the battery info?
AC Adapter
HP Part NO: 917677-003
Input: 100-240v ~ 2.5A; 50-60hz
Output: 19.5V 7.7A

Battery Info:
Regulatory Model No: HSTNN-DB7W
15.4V; 70.07Wh (Nom 4550mAh)

As far as drivers go, I reset the laptop back to factory default/wiped everything and reinstalled because I was frustrated nothing was working lol. Before reinstalling any games/third party software I went through and made sure windows was fully up to date, then when through the drivers, one by one, in the device manager and made sure each of those was up to date (albeit, I used the auto-online search, except for the graphics card which I went to the NVIDIA site and grabbed the one listed in my first post), then after all that I started re-installing my games and whatnot. I can DDU my graphics driver and try it again just to be sure, but there was no change to the driver between the last time my games ran smoothly and when they were crap, so I feel like that should essentially rule out the driver... or am I crazy there?

Seems like you are having thermal issues. Any component in your laptop will not work at it's full potential when a certain thermal threshold has been surpassed. You can confirm this by running msi afterburner while playing and monitoring your temperatures both for GPU and CPU.

Sep 14, 2019
While its plugged in. Of note, I noticed that when my GPU load reaches full, the clock time drops and when the load decreases the clock goes back to the stock clock rate. This sounds very much like a thermal throttling issues, however it happens as soon as I turn on a game (or anything that would bring the load up to 100%) and not only after it has been going for a bit and getting hotter. It also does not seem to be a analog throttling, in that if it gets hotter, it throttles it more, it seems to be more of a digital behavior where its either throttled to approximately 800ish MHz or its not throttled at all and its operating as it should be.

Sep 14, 2019
I still believe it's thermal throttling. 70C is a lot for a laptop. Mine starts throttling at 67C.
Really?! is there a place that I can look up where the throttling is supposed to start. Also, it might be worth noting that it was my CPU at the temp and not the GPU, however its my GPU displaying that it is load saturated. Would a CPU that has started to induce thermal throttling also throttle a GPU to try to cool down the whole system?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
No, 70C is nowhere close to thermal throttling for any recent CPU. If you've already tried a clean install of windows/drivers, I'd see if there are any BIOS updates available. If that doesn't do it, may be time to contact the laptop manufacturer for support.

Solution