Mobo: Asus Prime X370 Pro
BIOS: 5204
RAM: G Skill Flare X 16gb (2 x 8gb) DDR4 3200
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850 Gold
Wifi Card: Asus PCE-AC68
SSD: Crucial mx500 2.5" 500gb
HDD: Toshiba 5tb
No overclocking

So I have been playing whack a mole with this problem for a couple years now. My GPU will suddenly lose power seemingly at random, the light on the GPU will go out and my monitor loses signal. When this happens the power button will no longer work to shut down the computer. Everything else stays running. As a result I am forced to turn the pc off by flipping the power switch on the PSU.

The reason this has been going on so long is that I will think that I have it fixed, only for it to happen again a month or two later. I'll update drivers and the problem will seemingly be gone only for it to happen again after a month or so. I read that my mobo had some issues with its BIOS at launch so I most recently updated the BIOS on August 28 and had no more issues until yesterday when it happened again.

I can't seem to find any way to trigger the problem on purpose, the loss of power, if that's what it is, seems very random. The only consistency that seems to exist is that once it does happen it seems to be more likely to happen again when I restart the computer, and it seems more likely to happen within a few minutes of the computer turning on, usually at the sign in page or within a couple minutes upon loading the desktop. After it does the same thing a few times the pc will eventually work normally.

I initially thought it may be a software issue but now I am thinking hardware, either GPU or Mobo. Considering that the power button also stops working I am leaning towards the mobo being the problem. Besides updating the drivers and the BIOS I have also made sure that the GPU and it's cables are plugged in correctly.

I am not the most tech savvy so any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Video of problem:

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History or Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the times and dates of the power losses.

The errors may appear just before or at the time of the power loss.

When the system is running use either Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe performance.

You may be able to identify some building performance issue that leads to the power losses.

mattflip

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Look in Reliability History or Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the times and dates of the power losses.

The errors may appear just before or at the time of the power loss.

When the system is running use either Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe performance.

You may be able to identify some building performance issue that leads to the power losses.
Thanks for the reply! I'm not the most computer savvy so I am going to have to research what a lot of this means when I get some free time, but at the moment I believe these are the logs from the time of the power loss. Like I said I will research in my free time, but also if anyone can provide any help to point me in the right direction then that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Event Viewer: I assume the critical is logged when I flip the switch on the PSU. correct me if I am wrong
iaXPrs6.jpg

Reliability history:
mXTDSIX.jpg

The technical details for the logged hardware error:
xLKfZDC.jpg

mattflip

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
As my battle continues I recently discovered this review of the ROG strix b450-f and the reviewer describes the exact same issue I am having:
rz3wScg.jpg

I am usually running NZXT CAM but I don't think I am running any other temp monitoring software at the same time (unless there is another one running in the background which I am unaware of). Does anyone know if this is a known issue with asus boards? Perhaps something else is triggering it on mine