Question GPU Low RPM after New Thermal Paste?

serjj

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
Hello everyone,

I decided to finally clean the old thermal paste of my gpu and put a new one in, it was a success tho when I tested it out on GTA 5, I noticed that the temperature of the GPU is getting higher due to the fact that the RPM of the fans are low, It was only hitting at about 1100+ RPM on about 60C+, did I do something wrong? though I can change the RPM speed on the Radeon Software and it the temps get lower but I'll have to experiment with that first.

Note: I monitored everything using the softwares metric overlay.

60C is nothing for a GPU. Most modern GPUs won't even spin their fans at temps less than 55-60C.

The temp target it usually around 73-75C for most vBIOS (to which the fans will adjust rpm to maintain).

Anything less than...78C is normal operation. Even 85C isn't harmful to the GPU, but at that temp, you'll be hearing the fans quite well.

serjj

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
60C is nothing for a GPU. Most modern GPUs won't even spin their fans at temps less than 55-60C.

The temp target it usually around 73-75C for most vBIOS (to which the fans will adjust rpm to maintain).

Anything less than...78C is normal operation. Even 85C isn't harmful to the GPU, but at that temp, you'll be hearing the fans quite well.

Yes but I monitored it again and I was only getting somewhere about 1100+ rpm on above 70c so I had to finally turn on advanced control to ramp up the fan speed.

Here's a pic to show the RPM.
IMG_20200930_233123.jpg

Last edited:

el_shekoo7

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
I recently did that too and same problem here! It’s rx 570 4g, before i was getting like 62-65 max in RDR2 for example and now it’s above 70 after 1 minute!! Any help?