Question GPU Makes “Ticking” Noise….

sassums

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
I have an ASUS ROG 3090 STRIX.

Im running dual 27” ASUS screens (1080p)

If the two screens don’t match the GPU makes this odd ticking noise.

For instance if I have Eve Online on both screens it sounds normal but the minute I open, for instance, an internet browser or something, it starts clicking.

In the video screen 1 has EVE and screen 2 has a browser and the clicking is apparent. After about 10 seconds I switch the 2nd screen back to EVE and the clicking stops. It starts again once I go back to a browser on screen 2.

any ideas?

(1) 3090GTX Noise - YouTube

• Motherboard
    Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero
  • Processor
    Intel 12th Gen i9-12900k
  • Memory
    64GB DDR5 5600mhz
  • Video Card # 1
    ASUS STRIX 3090
  • Hard Drive # 1
    2TB WD M.2
  • Power Supply
    Corsair RM1000X
  • Case
    CORSAIR iCUE 7000X RGB
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
I cannot hear any ticking in the video.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Use a cardboard tube or rolled up sheet of paper to carefully listen around the GPU, its' fans, and elsewhere inside the case to narrow down the source of the ticking.

sassums

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
I cannot hear any ticking in the video.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Use a cardboard tube or rolled up sheet of paper to carefully listen around the GPU, its' fans, and elsewhere inside the case to narrow down the source of the ticking.

I updated the post with the system specs...

If you listen to the video it starts with the card making the noise im talking about, then you can me click the mouse and the sound disappears.

Ralston18

Titan
I simply cannot hear or otherwise pick out some "click" or other distinct noise at the beginning of the video.

May be the fidelity of my speakers or just that my ears are no longer able to hear as well as they once could. :(

Are you able to narrow down where the click is physically occurring: a fan, the board, somewhere else.....

Are you using PROJECT via "WIN" + "P" to toggle between Duplicate and Extended?

If toggling monitors between Duplicate (Eve Online on both screens) and Extended (Eve Online on one screen, Browser on the other screen) mode reliably causes the click to begin and end then try to discover other ways to "control" the click. Single monitor - one screen only - with each monitor being that "screen only".

Try to note other things that change with the toggling: Temperatures, Fans, Fan RPMs, etc..

Right click an empty area of your desktop to access the GPU's Control panel and double check that all settings are as expected.

Not sure what else to suggest. Hopefully there will be other ideas and suggestions.

sassums

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Thanks I appreciate it! I believe it is coming from a fan on the card....I think? I have to open the side of the case and stick my head as close as I can but still cant figure out exactly where its coming from on the card.

Im not familiar with PROJECT via Win + P or whatever that is :(

As car as temperatures and fan speeds they are always nominal and as expected.

TRENDING THREADS