[SOLVED] GPU makes buzzing noise and causes short freezes sometimes under low, normal and heavy load

Nov 9, 2020
Hello all,

I have some problems with my current system after I upgraded the videocard 2 years back from a nvidia gtx980 to nvidia gtx1080TI. The videocard started to make some buzzing noise over time, which at first I thought this is normal for videocards. After some time it started to develop stuttering and very short freezes. The freezes can occur at all times, but mostly during gaming. When a short freeze happens you also hear the GPU buzzing very hard. If the buzzing stops the freezes stops. I thought it was my PSU at first, so I changed that one out for a Corsair RM850W, but it did not change anything. After that I upgraded the MOBO, processor and RAM, but this also did nothing. Buzzing noise is exactly the same as before. You can hear the buzzing noise at all times, but when the GPU load increases the buzzing load increasing. Spikes generate the freezes. Also, I tried all display and HDMI ports, no changes. I tried switching monitor, no changes. I tried capping at 60, 100, 120, 144, 200 and 240, but this also did not help.

At this point I don't know what to do anymore. I don't have warranty anymore on this card. Does someone else knows a fix for this or has a similar problem? Also, I looked into 'coil whining' which is normal for most cards, but does 'coil whining' causes freezes and stuttering. I don't think this has anything to do with 'coil whining', but I could be wrong.

System specs:
Windows 10 PRO
Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200Mhz
Nvidia MSI GTX1080TI 11GB
Corsair RM850W Gold
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core
ASUS Prime X570-Pro
Crucial CT250BX100SSD 250GB SSD
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB HD
ASUS ROG STRIX XG248Q 24" monitor