[SOLVED] gpu makes clicking noise when it goes under load

jostegogar

Reputable
Mar 26, 2019
hey i build my pc around 2 months ago and recently i noticed a click sound from gpu when it goes under load. its called coil whine i guess. is it dangerous? do i need to worry about it or its just normal.
GPU: ASUS gtx 1660ti dual OC

Solution
COIL WHINE is not harmful. It is just annoying/irritating if your GPU is giving high-pitched squeaking sounds. Nothing to worry.

Sadly, there isn’t an easy fix for coil whine, like an updated driver or a Windows setting. It’s a physical property of your graphics card (or any other component you can hear exhibiting the noise). The fixes for the problem, therefore, are going to be physical in nature, IF ANY.

As power runs through the coil it vibrates and causes the noise we all find irritating. This is sometimes the case of bad soldering of an inductor coil, but it is not always the issue. Most usual suspects are core and input filter coils due to the fact that most of the current flows through them. Coils in the memory...
COIL WHINE is not harmful. It is just annoying/irritating if your GPU is giving high-pitched squeaking sounds. Nothing to worry.

Sadly, there isn’t an easy fix for coil whine, like an updated driver or a Windows setting. It’s a physical property of your graphics card (or any other component you can hear exhibiting the noise). The fixes for the problem, therefore, are going to be physical in nature, IF ANY.

As power runs through the coil it vibrates and causes the noise we all find irritating. This is sometimes the case of bad soldering of an inductor coil, but it is not always the issue. Most usual suspects are core and input filter coils due to the fact that most of the current flows through them. Coils in the memory voltage regulation and minor rails are rarely under enough load to cause any coil whine.

Last edited:
Solution
"Coil whine refers to an undesirable noise emitted by an electronic component vibrating as power runs through an electrical cable ". You should not worry , coil whine wont damage your card at all its just that annoying sound. There is not any fix about this some say that if you have a bad psu maybe getting a good quality one will help. Warranty dont replace your card if the coil whine is the problem. If you play games always with a headset then you probably wont have any problem cause you wont hear the sound.