Question GPU makes my computer instantly turn off

Dec 31, 2021
im currently facing a issue where my gpu completly crashes and makes my pc reboot (turn off and on) on certain games
I know this is the gpu because i built a new computer and decided to use my same gpu as one of my older builds due to how hard finding a gpu has been,

my specs!
B550M-HDV AS ROCK Mini iTX motherboard
16 gb corsair vengance 3200mhz ram
Ryzen 7 5700G
XFX RX 480
V750 SFX 750W G Cooler master psu
All of these parts are brand new except for the GPU

I have tried checking thermals while gaming and i never seem to go over 60c so its not a overheating issue any other tests i can do?

Dec 31, 2021
What makes you think your GPU is the cause? Any Bsod?

Check reliability history and let me know if anything is reported there.
hey so this is what i got after opening reliability history, im pretty sure the GPU is the culprit since i had this error on my old computer which is the one i harvested the gpu from. I had thought it was a psu issue but since i had not spare psus i never got around to confirming it but im getting the exact same error on this new computer which the only thing ive added is this gpu. (no bsod just a simple reboot)

unknown.png

Last edited:

Mcfckyle91

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
hey so this is what i got after opening reliability history, im pretty sure the GPU is the culprit since i had this error on my old computer which is the one i harvested the gpu from. I had thought it was a psu issue but since i had not spare psus i never got around to confirming it but im getting the exact same error on this new computer which the only thing ive added is this gpu. (no bsod just a simple reboot)

unknown.png
You can open the Dump file the Bsod leaves behind with WinDbg as Admin or bluescreen view.

The files are found in C:/Windows/MiniDump.

Mcfckyle91

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
Not seeing any folder with the name of MiniDump on my file directories :(
You would have to physically find it as it wont show from searching in bottom search bar on windows. If you press view technical details as shown on the picture you showed me next to the events in reliability history, it will show the location of any dump files for your system.

Dec 31, 2021
You would have to physically find it as it wont show from searching in bottom search bar on windows. If you press view technical details as shown on the picture you showed me next to the events in reliability history, it will show the location of any dump files for your system.

alright this is what im getting after clicking on the technical details in reliability history
unknown.png
and this is for a few days earlier
unknown.png
as for the dump files i manually looked through my windows folder file directory but i couldnt find anything of the sorts or even a MiniDump folder

Mcfckyle91

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

Follow the AMD guide and fully reinstall your AMD drivers properly following the guide to detail. You could even try reinstalling with the optional Adrenalin 21.12.1 for the RX480. I would fully uninstall using the correct method first as shown in guide.

The windows was not properly shut down usually yields no dump file. It is the Windows has stopped working that does.

What do the hardware errors say?

Dec 31, 2021
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

Follow the AMD guide and fully reinstall your AMD drivers properly following the guide to detail. You could even try reinstalling with the optional Adrenalin 21.12.1 for the RX480. I would fully uninstall using the correct method first as shown in guide.

The windows was not properly shut down usually yields no dump file. It is the Windows has stopped working that does.

What do the hardware errors say?

it doesnt let me access the technical details for all the hardware error parts, whats weird to me is as seen the reliability details from yesterday dont say anything about hardware error while the crash i had today was exactly the same as it was the last couple of days, ill try the driver solution and will keep you posted

Mcfckyle91

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
it doesnt let me access the technical details for all the hardware error parts, whats weird to me is as seen the reliability details from yesterday dont say anything about hardware error while the crash i had today was exactly the same as it was the last couple of days, ill try the driver solution and will keep you posted
If the drivers don't work I would consider reinstalling your operating system from scratch no file saving no nothing, complete wipe and reinstall. Can create a Windows Tool for free in the link below. Just requires 16GB flash drive.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Dec 31, 2021
Hey! so after doing this i went into my benchmark game one that made the system reboot completely always at the same spot and i got a different result, instead of the pc turning off my display went black and back on in a few seconds, this is still not normal behavior but its better than before, what next?

Mcfckyle91

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
Hey! so after doing this i went into my benchmark game one that made the system reboot completely always at the same spot and i got a different result, instead of the pc turning off my display went black and back on in a few seconds, this is still not normal behavior but its better than before, what next?
Just to confirm you used the DDU tool to fully uninstall all the amd drivers first before reinstalling them?

I would suggest unplugging the power cable from the GPU and taking out of your Mboard and reseating/connecting. Can't imagine there is any dust in a new system so after you do this or before test another display cable of choice HDMI/VGA/DVI-D/Display Port just to eliminate a dud cable.

Dec 31, 2021
Alright so i did as you indicated, tried a different cable (no luck on different port as the monitor im using to test has no vga or display port) however ive noticed now in this same benchmark game the fans start making a weird screeching noise that i havent heard before

Mcfckyle91

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
Alright so i did as you indicated, tried a different cable (no luck on different port as the monitor im using to test has no vga or display port) however ive noticed now in this same benchmark game the fans start making a weird screeching noise that i havent heard before
I would reinstall Windows 10 (preferably x64) (you need 16GB USB drive minimum) you can do this using the Windows Tool here:

And by reinstall I recommend completely wiping the system and starting fresh. If the issue still persists after this, we may then be looking more towards a Hardware issue. Reinstalling the OS has saved me a small fortune over the years, it may surprise you how effective it can be.

Before you do that, you can quickly check Windows Updates for anything you may be missing including within the Optional section as a last ditch attempt.

You could also try a free trial with the Iobit Driver Booster so you get access to the full application (no card details needed!) and update your drivers, the program usually has one for the Generic PNP Monitor driver that windows doesn't seem to find. Maybe this could be another last ditch attempt fix before reinstalling.

Dec 31, 2021
I would reinstall Windows 10 (preferably x64) (you need 16GB USB drive minimum) you can do this using the Windows Tool here:

And by reinstall I recommend completely wiping the system and starting fresh. If the issue still persists after this, we may then be looking more towards a Hardware issue. Reinstalling the OS has saved me a small fortune over the years, it may surprise you how effective it can be.

Before you do that, you can quickly check Windows Updates for anything you may be missing including within the Optional section as a last ditch attempt.

You could also try a free trial with the Iobit Driver Booster so you get access to the full application (no card details needed!) and update your drivers, the program usually has one for the Generic PNP Monitor driver that windows doesn't seem to find. Maybe this could be another last ditch attempt fix before reinstalling.
well the issue seems to have gotten a little better following all these attempts so im hopeful still, ill try all of this and will keep you posted (hopefully i dont need to replace the card because the prices right now are insane)

Mcfckyle91

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
Terrible advice. OP, do not do this. The advice to reinstall Windows is certainly worth considering, but anyone who knows ANYTHING about PCs would advise against any kind of 'driver booster' crapware.
Iobit is something I have used for many years.. he would be performing a full clean install anyway, so what's the harm in running Iobit Driver Booster? you got any experience with it? believe me there are worse driver applications I could reccomend for someone try before deleting their full system. Entitled to your own opinion and so am I.

Iobit is something I have used for many years.. he would be performing a full clean install anyway, so what's the harm in running Iobit Driver Booster? you got any experience with it? believe me there are worse driver applications I could reccomend for someone try before deleting their full system. Entitled to your own opinion and so am I.
Your opinion became a recommendation and an advice when you told to OP to use it. @John Chesterfield told you it's a bad idea and I agree with him. Almost every driver finder/installer is crap.

I have used iobit out of curiosity in the past and although it does work, I have found several issues with it's recommendation of drivers not being supported or wrong for the hardware installed.

Besides, you don't need such a software if you know what hardware you have. Every piece of hardware inside your system has a manufacturer's website that provides drivers for the said hardware.

Reactions: John Chesterfield

Mcfckyle91

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
Your opinion became a recommendation and an advice when you told to OP to use it. @John Chesterfield told you it's a bad idea and I agree with him. Almost every driver finder/installer is crap.

I have used iobit out of curiosity in the past and although it does work, I have found several issues with it's recommendation of drivers not being supported or wrong for the hardware installed.

Besides, you don't need such a software if you know what hardware you have. Every piece of hardware inside your system has a manufacturer's website that provides drivers for the said hardware.

I fully understand both of you, I have legit had the program save me from spending money in the past. It's not something that's on the list of must install for every system now! It's something to use when all else is failing and the OS is getting deleted anyway. There aren't many 'driver programs' I recommend trying due to the usual concerns with them, It was a last ditch attempt at perhaps finding something that may be missing or outdated, if it worked great! if not systems getting wiped anyway.

I won't recommend any form of Driver software on here again to save upsetting the community.

I fully understand both of you, I have legit had the program save me from spending money in the past. It's not something that's on the list of must install for every system now! It's something to use when all else is failing and the OS is getting deleted anyway. There aren't many 'driver programs' I recommend trying due to the usual concerns with them, It was a last ditch attempt at perhaps finding something that may be missing or outdated, if it worked great! if not systems getting wiped anyway.

I won't recommend any form of Driver software on here again to save upsetting the community.
Everything else on this thread from you is solid advice. No argues there. The driver programs as you called them, are frowned upon from the tech community and there is a valid reason for that.

I understand your logic that since it will be wiped anyway, we might as well give it a try but by using such programs you only give your system trouble with bloatware, adware, sketchy drivers and possible malware that can be installed along what you chose to install. So in the end, you make things worse and you end up wiping everything anyway for a clean windows installation.

Reactions: John Chesterfield

I don't need experience with it, I can actually find the right drivers myself as it's really not difficult.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion. Mine is that software that 'finds' the best drivers is unnecessary bloatware. But we'll agree to disagree.

Everything else on this thread from you is solid advice. No argues there. The driver programs as you called them, are frowned upon from the tech community and there is a valid reason for that.

I understand your logic that since it will be wiped anyway, we might as well give it a try but by using such programs you only give your system trouble with bloatware, adware, sketchy drivers and possible malware that can be installed along what you chose to install. So in the end, you make things worse and you end up wiping everything anyway for a clean windows installation.

Agreed. The other advice was good and relevant.

But especially if you have wiped the device and it's very clean, the very last thing I'm going to install is some software that is entirely unneeded. If a user has a piece of hardware with an exclamation mark next to it in device manager because it has no driver, 99.9% of the time a quick copy and paste into Google of what's in the hardware ID of the properties tab in device manager will find you your missing driver. Absolutely no need for any 3rd party software to do that.