Question GPU making buzzing/struggling sounds that probably should not be made.

Jul 15, 2020
Gonna be honest, I've got no clue what's going on. I thought I solved everything and then this GPU throws another curveball, so I'll just throw some details about what's going on and pray I get closure on this issue.
I'm having an odd noise come from what appears to be my GPU fans on startup (When they ramp up to 100%, if it means anything). I figured google would assist me, however I honestly have no clue how to describe the sound in a meaningful way.
I've got the NVIDIA stock model for the RTX 2060 Super
It should also be noted that while in very graphics intensive situations (For example, highest graphics settings on games such as Destiny 2) it will make a vibrating noise (which I'm 90% certain is not coil whine), but with vsync enabled it is content.
The strangest thing however, is that this is not always what happens. Sometimes there is no noise, sometimes its fainter, sometimes its an entirely different sound akin to if someone poured a little sand into the fans on startup.
I suppose what I'm asking is, should I try to get an RMA or is there a more timely fix? Due to it being fine in normal use I feel its just some sort of bearings rotating incorrectly under maximum strain, but I just want to be sure.

Furzumz

Reputable
I'm having an odd noise come from what appears to be my GPU fans on startup (When they ramp up to 100%, if it means anything)

Fans ramping up at startup is rather common until the appropriate drivers / settings kick in to tell it to chill out so that part is normal.

The thing that concerns me tho is how the fans sound. When any GPU fan ramps up to 100% they can get loud which is normal but your fans sounds sound odd when they ramp down, almost like a grinding sound. Not sure if that's just how the card is or what, guess we'll just have to see what other people say

It should also be noted that while in very graphics intensive situations (For example, highest graphics settings on games such as Destiny 2) it will make a vibrating noise (which I'm 90% certain is not coil whine), but with vsync enabled it is content.

Coil whine is from electricity vibrating a coil

The fact v-sync fixes it supports the theory that what you're hearing may just be coil whine in this regard. Coil whine is made worse the higher your FPS is because your video card is trying to spit out more frames, therefore it has to use more electricity. More electricity means that coil is gonna vibrate even more creating coil whine.

V-sync caps your FPS to that of your monitors refresh rate which means you'll be running at lower FPS which in turn means less electricity your video card is using. Less electricity = less coil whine

You can test this further by disabling v-sync then put a FPS cap on games giving you problems with that vibrating sound as you described it. Try 30 or 60 FPS and see if the sound stops, if it does then chances are its just coil whine.

sometimes its an entirely different sound akin to if someone poured a little sand into the fans on startup.

Are you talking about the vibration sound or are you referring back to the fans?

Jul 15, 2020
Coil whine is from electricity vibrating a coil
The fact v-sync fixes it supports the theory that what you're hearing may just be coil whine in this regard. Coil whine is made worse the higher your FPS is because your video card is trying to spit out more frames, therefore it has to use more electricity. More electricity means that coil is gonna vibrate even more creating coil whine.
It's tricky to capture this sound, as it occurs infrequently and when the sound occurs it isn't picked up very well despite me being able to hear it clearly from a yard or so away. I really don't believe the vibration is coil whine since--as dumb as it sounds--I also sometimes hear a similar noise in my AC
View: https://youtu.be/ertNFk63vys

This was picked up from me just running as many graphics-intensive things as possible. (I should also mention that when I was testing this stuff I also tried running CPU-intensive things and it induced no similar sounds).
Are you talking about the vibration sound or are you referring back to the fans?
Sorry, should've added this before.
The sound happens on startup as well, here's an example;
View: https://youtu.be/us1SSueRt2Y

Basically every startup just brings a totally different type of sound, and sometimes it doesn't sound wrong at all.

Jul 15, 2020
Today, after a decent while of everything going fine, a much more prolonged version of the first sound is occurring again. I am 100% sure it should not be doing this, but 0% sure why.
Is it humidity? Today was dryer than ever.
Is a moth or something flying into the toasty heat sinks behind the fans? A bug trap by the main entrance of the case has not changed anything.
Perhaps some dust clogged it up? Still happening after a full cleaning.
Cables getting near the fan? I've managed every cable to the point its physically impossible for one to get in the way.
Is it simply a faulty model? Oriented wrong? Solar flares? Maybe it doesn't work in the summer.
I don't know.

TRENDING THREADS