Question GPU making PC restart itself over and over

darklord.dl62

Commendable
Jan 23, 2018
so just another normal day, i wake up, turn on my pc. but 1 thing wasn’t normal. When i turned on my PC it just kept on restart itself over and over again. Like it turns on then turns off then this it just goes on forever. It doesn’t display anything on the screen when it turns on. It turns on and for 3-5 seconds it restarts again. I tried to remove the GPU which is a GT 1030 and my Pc started to work but ofcourse without a gpu to power the monitor The screen is just blank. I tried to use another gpu which is a R7 240 and everything worked normally... is it the gpu or psu?
my specs:
i3 4170
h81mhv3 mobo
8gb of team elite ram
gt 1030
blue lightning 550 psu

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Your description, coupled with the fact I've never heard of, nor able to find any info on a "blue lightning 500W" would suggest a PSU issue, but the fact an R7 240 works normally is odd to say the least.

Both are 30W TDP cards, so would be strange for one to work and the other cause endless reboots.... but it's possible.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Oh, it's an FSP 80+ Bronze unit.....
Hmm, strange. I wouldn't have thought it would be problematic.

Doesn't confirm the GPU is the issue, but given it's a reasonable PSU and another 30W TDP GPU works without issue, I'm really not sure.

Did you remove the AMD GPU drivers before installing the 1030?

darklord.dl62

Commendable
Jan 23, 2018

Doesn't confirm the GPU is the issue, but given it's a reasonable PSU and another 30W TDP GPU works without issue, I'm really not sure.

No i didn’t, and it was working fine for about a year

darklord.dl62

Commendable
Jan 23, 2018

I also talked to a computer technician and he said it was the gpu, but im not really sure because my psu is from 2012-2014 or something