[SOLVED] GPU making whirring/buzzing noise

Solution
As of recently my GIGABYTE 1660 Super seems to be making a buzzing and whirring noise when I play any sort of games. If I am just browsing or watching a video its fine but it almost always makes the buzzing constantly. Not sure what the problem is but i am almost 100% sure its the GPU as its the loudest part when i put my ear to it. Linked below is a video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gLET_GdqcDSNhWqPGhL2UBpfWz1y36Rk/view?usp=sharing

It sounds like a fan lightly scraping on something. Could be the GPU fan, could be another fan elsewhere. You can verify it's the GPU either by putting GPU-specific load (Heaven benchmark, Kombustor, etc) or simply turning fans by hand when the system is off.

Feel for play or...

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
As of recently my GIGABYTE 1660 Super seems to be making a buzzing and whirring noise when I play any sort of games. If I am just browsing or watching a video its fine but it almost always makes the buzzing constantly. Not sure what the problem is but i am almost 100% sure its the GPU as its the loudest part when i put my ear to it. Linked below is a video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gLET_GdqcDSNhWqPGhL2UBpfWz1y36Rk/view?usp=sharing

It sounds like a fan lightly scraping on something. Could be the GPU fan, could be another fan elsewhere. You can verify it's the GPU either by putting GPU-specific load (Heaven benchmark, Kombustor, etc) or simply turning fans by hand when the system is off.

Feel for play or resistance on the fans; they should spin freely with very little to no play.

Solution
Jun 7, 2021

Feel for play or resistance on the fans; they should spin freely with very little to no play.

I spun all the fans in my rig and i could hear a slight ticking from my left gpu fan, definintely from the gpu.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
That fan is shot then, assuming it's not hitting against anything when making that noise. That said, if everything else (mainly the GPU shroud) is mounted tight, the bearing is shot causing the fan to be unbalanced and hitting things. You can find replacement fans online, a lot of times from Aliexpress.

TRENDING THREADS