News GPU Market Nosedives, Sales Lowest In a Decade

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
GPU prices would need to be cut in half for me to even consider one. Both Nvidia and AMD are off their rocker, no one is buying at these prices.
They will sell and have been. Find a 4090 in stock. Even the 80s are selling and they are the reciprical of the last generations 90 to 80 value prop. There is 1 model of the 80 in stock at my local MC otherwise the same lack of inventory. The AMD cards will be out of stock as quickly as they come in. People have been bitching about GPU prices since the dedicated gpu came to market. I had to save a ton and beg my parents to match for a bday or something to get my first 3dfx card, a Voodoo powered Creative 3D Blaster. It was amazingly expensive and awesomely powerful.

Where have you been the last 30 years? 😉

(BTW the 4090 is amazingly expensive and awesomely powerful, have one myself but didnt have to ask my rents this time hah)

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
If my GPU wasn't having problems, I probably would have held off.

The RX 6700 XT would have been along what I wanted in terms of bracket and price. However, with the prices and December 13 (when AMD releases their card), I may have still waited. The RX 6700 XT is what I would have expected... at launch

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
They will sell and have been. Find a 4090 in stock. Even the 80s are selling and they are the reciprical of the last generations 90 to 80 value prop.

LDLC, one of the biggest hardware retailers in Europe, has had 4080 in stock since launch. They currently have MSI, Gigabyte, Zotac, PNY, Gainward etc. All available and in stock.

LDLC never sold out of 4080, not even at launch day, which is abnormal for a GPU launch. Not many people are jumping to spend €1600+ on a GPU, most people are struggling to even pay their electric bills nowadays.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2928070

They will sell and have been. Find a 4090 in stock. Even the 80s are selling and they are the reciprical of the last generations 90 to 80 value prop. There is 1 model of the 80 in stock at my local MC otherwise the same lack of inventory. The AMD cards will be out of stock as quickly as they come in. People have been bitching about GPU prices since the dedicated gpu came to market. I had to save a ton and beg my parents to match for a bday or something to get my first 3dfx card, a Voodoo powered Creative 3D Blaster. It was amazingly expensive and awesomely powerful.

(BTW the 4090 is amazingly expensive and awesomely powerful, have one myself but didnt have to ask my rents this time hah)
Ew.

Reactions: PEnns

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020

Sold out?? LMAO!! Nice try!!

Here's something you should read:

GPU Market Nosedives, Sales Lowest In a Decade

Gamers Are Not Buying Nvidia's RTX 4080

Last edited:
Reactions: jp7189

Loadedaxe

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2016

You would think after 30 years you would have realized you dont need the most expensive graphics card!

:p

Reactions: SydB and PEnns

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
GPU prices would need to be cut in half for me to even consider one. Both Nvidia and AMD are off their rocker, no one is buying at these prices.

Totally agree. Seems the population agrees as well. 4090s are easy to find now, and 4080s are just plain clogging up the shelves. Only people buying these ridiculous cards are the whales, and if you're a whale, why would you bother with a 4080 when you've got money to burn? You don't, which is why they are not selling.

I wish the youtubers and reviewers would get a clue and stop pushing the overpriced crap and start highlighting cards that are more affordable. I'd like to se an AMD card actually run Minecraft (java version) at a reasonable frame rate so I could consider getting one next time.... (not that I play, I've just got a similar use case).

"Best Reasonably Priced GPU" is a title I would watch!

Reactions: PEnns

Jimbojan

Honorable
May 17, 2017
I had predicted Intel will gain GPU market share for some time, it really comes true now, both NVDA and AMD are losing market share in integrated as well as dGPU market, it is likely Intel will gain CPU share too as its factories and design going into high gear in 2023 and beyond. Yet those pundit analysts are still trying to jack up the share price of AMD and NVDA, it is a crime to do these kinds of pump and dump to make profit off the innocent investors.

InvalidError

Titan
Yet those pundit analysts are still trying to jack up the share price of AMD and NVDA, it is a crime to do these kinds of pump and dump to make profit off the innocent investors.
If you or your investment manager don't do your due diligence as an investor, your losses are entirely on you and your investment manager if you have one.

As for "jacking up AMD's share prices", Intel did its own share to help that happen by consistently failing to deliver on both process improvements and manufacturing volume for much of the last six years. Nvidia has a near-monopoly on high-end graphics with a booming datacenter GPGPU business projected to account for more than twice as much revenue as its gaming and visualisation business over the coming year, it doesn't need Intel's help.

hannibal

Distinguished
And the companies will solve this problem by cutting production in order to maintain these ridiculous prices.

Of course they do! Why produce, when there is no demand...
And these prices suits to stock holders just fine.
They can sell 4060 and 4050 models at $600-$800 to those who can not afford 4090 or 4080... So they have no problems with the situation...

Hortos

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2013
Of course they do! Why produce, when there is no demand...
And these prices suits to stock holders just fine.
They can sell 4060 and 4050 models at $600-$800 to those who can not afford 4090 or 4080... So they have no problems with the situation...
The thought of a Sub 70 card for over 500 just seems ridiculous to me. Low tier GPUs selling for as much as top tier CPUs.

Not really. I'll keep on truckin' with my 1080ti instead of buying a low-mid modern card. The 2070maxP in my laptop is slightly lower performance, but also does me just fine when mobile.

InvalidError

Titan
The thought of a Sub 70 card for over 500 just seems ridiculous to me. Low tier GPUs selling for as much as top tier CPUs.
Well, a GPU does come with a relatively large PCB, a VRM, GDDR6, a bunch of support components, connectors, etc. that a CPU doesn't have. Even the high-end consumer CPUs only cost ~$80 to manufacture while low-end GPUs start around $100. From a pure costs of manufacturing standpoint, it makes sense for GPUs to be more expensive.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Prices and margins have gotten too large in the GPU space. It's only a matter of time before prices are forced to come down by over-supply. Nvidia in particular -- but also AMD to an extent -- have priced their latest products assuming the crypto bubble is still going on.

Quick check of the local Microcenters shows that multiple stores have 70+ 4080 GPUs in stock. Either Nvidia is doing this on purpose to try and push people towards the 30-series, or gamers are speaking with their wallets. I think GPU sales are going to continue to flounder until the market is forced to correct. It'll be like the 2008 real estate crisis where prices stay elevated until people stop using the "I can't just give it away" excuse to justify unrealistic prices.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
One of the reasons low end GPUs practically don't exist and integrated graphics is now on all consumer CPUs. Manufacturing cost outweighs the product's value. So your GT1030 costs $90 and is just about the worst value for money. (Well maybe the GTX 1630 at $133) When you can spend $150 and get something like the RX6500 XT (And the RX6400 is only ten dollars cheaper).

Mid-range cards which should represent the best revenue may now be outweighed by inflated margins at the top end.