[SOLVED] GPU maxing at 45%

Uri Abraham

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
I recently noticed while playing LoL that I only get ~130 fps on high (but not the highest) settings with my RTX 2080.
I checked online and saw that I should easily get 200+ fps with my current specs so I downloaded CPUID HWMonitor and noticed my GPU only hitting 45% while being 56C.
Any ideas what can cause this/ how to fix it?

my specs:
3440x1440 monitor
i9 9900KF
RTX 2080
16gb 3000MHz
h115i water cooler

thanks in advance.

Solution
Is this situation new, or did you just notice it?
What might have recently changed?
What did you check online to determine that your performance was sub par?

Games will usually be limited by either cpu performance or graphics performance.
I would agree that a i9-9900KF should be as good as it gets unless the comparison cpu is a i9-11900K which has superior single thread performance.
LOL is largely a single threaded cpu game.
Be careful how you interpret task manager cpu utilizations.
Windows will spread the activity of a single thread over all available threads.
So, if you had a game that was single threaded and cpu bound, it would show up on a quad core processor as 25%
utilization across all 4 threads.

If your game quality...
Is this situation new, or did you just notice it?
What might have recently changed?
What did you check online to determine that your performance was sub par?

Games will usually be limited by either cpu performance or graphics performance.
I would agree that a i9-9900KF should be as good as it gets unless the comparison cpu is a i9-11900K which has superior single thread performance.
LOL is largely a single threaded cpu game.
Be careful how you interpret task manager cpu utilizations.
Windows will spread the activity of a single thread over all available threads.
So, if you had a game that was single threaded and cpu bound, it would show up on a quad core processor as 25%
utilization across all 4 threads.

If your game quality settings are low, the graphics card will loaf .

Actually, you do not want to see cpu at 100% or gpu at 100%,
Such a situation leaves you with no reserve to handle spikes in resource demand.

Solution
Its 144hz and I turned Vsync off.
But still my GPU should hit higher than 45% right?
Oh and in LoL I capped my fps at 200.
There's two things that determine GPU usage: how many times the CPU can give it work to do and how fast the GPU can do it. If the work the GPU can do is really easy, such as a 1080p lower image quality render, it's now up to the CPU to feed it more work to do. And how much the CPU can give work to do to the GPU depends on how the game was programmed or if the CPU got stuck doing other things in the computer.

GPU utilization alone is kind of useless when diagnosing high frame rate problems because you have to look at how the CPU is behaving as well.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
That game can run on a potato connected to a potato battery. It won't push that GPU to the max, unless you run it at 8K (don't quote me on that/haven't tested).

As long as the game is running buttery smooth, forget about the frames. Whenever I play I get anything between 120-180fps with lows around 70, with a R5 3600, 16GB 3K and 1070TI, yet the game runs smoothly. Also, network latency can affect the performance.

TRENDING THREADS