GPU Memory Testing

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Recently I posted about my new GTX1060 card, but didn't get any real response.

I have an ASUS GTX-1060-O6GB card, that when I run programs like HWINFO64, or UNIGINE, FURMARK etc... they all detect the card as being the 6GB model so didn't get the wrong one, but when I see memory on it, it's 4GB.

UNIGINE for example
Platform:Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1) 64bit
CPU model:Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1231 v3 @ 3.40GHz (3392MHz) x4
GPU model:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 21.21.13.7619 (4095MB) x1

I tried GPU-Z as per the only response I received, but says 6GB on one side, the other side says 165MB.

ASUS Tech said to upgrade BIOS and update video drivers. After that, it took weeks and a few emails to get a response, which was to get an RMA. No further testing...???

Basically, card works fine but, I don't know if it can/should work better, I have no way to compare, no extra PC's to swap cards with, no other GTX1060's to see if they read the same.

Is there a way to test the cards full 6GB of memory, like MEMTEST86 but for GPU's? I know it's usually mentioned to use GPU-Z but again, left side shows 6GB, but so far most apps recognize it's a 6GB card, but usually show 4GB somewhere else. :S

GPU-Z_zpsyarjcjin.jpg

Solution
sorry only saw the gpuz shot

unigine says same for my gtx1070 which is an 8gb card--4095mb x 1

guess its just a peculiarity of certain programs not windows

if i load up a game and max every setting it definitely can use over 4gb vram

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Says a 6GB card but, a few other apps as I have mentioned also show a 6GB card but show only 4GB. Maybe 6GB found but only 4GB works? Maybe some weird Win7x64 setting that caps it at 4GB? Limitation of the motherboard/BIOS limiting to 4GB?

Again... UNIGINE results

Platform:Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1) 64bit
CPU model:Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1231 v3 @ 3.40GHz (3392MHz) x4
GPU model:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 21.21.13.7619 (4095MB) x1

Shows as a 6GB card but then in brackets says 4096MB. Few apps I have tried showed a similar result. Shows the correct 6GB card, but then elsewhere shows the memory as being 4GB. HWINFO64 was the same way.

The 4GB (4096MB) keeps showing up, and must be coming from somewhere.

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Ya, that 4095MB part kinda threw me... buy a 6GB card and some apps show 4GB, makes ya wonder... is 2GB not working? or is there a setting somewhere or hardware limitation on the system capping it at 4GB? If I recall, I think WinXp use to cap system memory at 4GB or something like that... different memory I know, but get the idea.

So far, I've had no issues with the card. Runs fine, and noticeably better than the 2GB GTX 960 I had prior. But, never know, may work fine but, could work better. I ran benchmark/stress tests with 0 errors, like FurMark... so... I'll assume it's good. Especially if yours is saying the same thing.

What really surprised me was ASUS... quick reply to say update Bios and Video Card Drivers... then a few weeks to finally respond back saying they'll do an RMA. Would have thought they'd have me check some settings, run an app to gather info, or... something. Not simply, update 2 things, and switch for another card.

yeah to be honest never even noticed unigine was saying 4095mb for my card until you mentioned it--maybe it sets a vram limit so the score you get is

more influenced by the actual gpu power than different amounts of vram

just knew by the fps and overall score my card was flying through it--over 200fps max on ultra and extreme tessalation you just assume your cards fine lol

but used afterburner and riva statistics in games before and had seen it use over the 4gb mark