[SOLVED] GPU MHz dropping to 100 when trying to OC (GTX 1070)

Solution
best way to overclock your GPU is to open curve editor and change operating frequency per each voltage step, this can be a bit tricky as voltage bumps are based on rendered scene..so in order to "lock" gpu to some voltage level...run kombustor with some static rendering and just toy with FPS limit with RTSS, that way GPU wont be jumping up/down with clocks/voltages and you can "easily" edit voltage curves
this will result in more frequency at given voltage

those GPUs can clock them selfs up to 2GHz and with curve editor you could probably go a bit higher...maybe 2.2GHz? depends on silicon lottery here as each GPU can have different freqency at each voltage step, it also depends on cooling alot...not overheating means keeping your GPU...
Feb 25, 2022
which means gpu entered fail safe mode as overclock was unstable
u dont want to touch temp limit, improve your cooling if its overheating

Oh, alright didnt know that. Its not really overheating, so i should be fine to OC right?
Shall i also not put the power limit over 100%?

Stop doing that very little to gain and a video card could be lost.

Isnt overclocking a GPU generally safe to do? I heard its only CPU where you should be cautious.

best way to overclock your GPU is to open curve editor and change operating frequency per each voltage step, this can be a bit tricky as voltage bumps are based on rendered scene..so in order to "lock" gpu to some voltage level...run kombustor with some static rendering and just toy with FPS limit with RTSS, that way GPU wont be jumping up/down with clocks/voltages and you can "easily" edit voltage curves
this will result in more frequency at given voltage

those GPUs can clock them selfs up to 2GHz and with curve editor you could probably go a bit higher...maybe 2.2GHz? depends on silicon lottery here as each GPU can have different freqency at each voltage step, it also depends on cooling alot...not overheating means keeping your GPU about 10-15C below tMax (tMax is 94C)

Reactions: nonhostilecat
Solution
Isnt overclocking a GPU generally safe to do? I heard its only CPU where you should be cautious.
The thing is GPU boosting since Pascal is basically "the GPU will overclock itself until it hits a voltage, power, or temperature limit" Pushing the sliders are also just a suggestion, the GPU may not actually boost faster if one of the aforementioned limits were hit.

The other thing is that whatever you gain may be small anyway. For instance, my RTX 2070 Super fails 3D Mark's stability test at around +70-80 MHz. Given it's already boosting to 1950 MHz, the extra clock speed at best is 4%. This doesn't really improve the overall gaming experience, but hey, at least I get a higher benchmark score. You could go for the manual approach of editing the V-F curve as mentioned, but also as mentioned, the silicon lottery will determine how much clock speed you really get out of it.

Also, a bump in clock speed does not mean a 1:1 relationship with performance. Getting 10% higher clock speeds doesn't mean you'll get a 10% FPS bump.

We're past the age where overclocking the parts yourself bring a meaningful performance bump. It's really more for bragging rights on benchmark leaderboards.

The thing is GPU boosting since Pascal is basically "the GPU will overclock itself until it hits a voltage, power, or temperature limit" Pushing the sliders are also just a suggestion, the GPU may not actually boost faster if one of the aforementioned limits were hit.

The other thing is that whatever you gain may be small anyway. For instance, my RTX 2070 Super fails 3D Mark's stability test at around +70-80 MHz. Given it's already boosting to 1950 MHz, the extra clock speed at best is 4%. This doesn't really improve the overall gaming experience, but hey, at least I get a higher benchmark score. You could go for the manual approach of editing the V-F curve as mentioned, but also as mentioned, the silicon lottery will determine how much clock speed you really get out of it.

Also, a bump in clock speed does not mean a 1:1 relationship with performance. Getting 10% higher clock speeds doesn't mean you'll get a 10% FPS bump.

We're past the age where overclocking the parts yourself bring a meaningful performance bump. It's really more for bragging rights on benchmark leaderboards.
here you can take a look on mine 1070ti
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47132492
its comparable to a GTX1080..so dunno if its small speed up or not