Question GPU might be broken after driver install

Nov 15, 2020
Okay. So this all started when I downloaded call of duty cold war and it said I needed a driver update for my GPU. I did some quick research went on the radeon website, as I have an RTX 470, and found the supposedly correct driver update. Upon installing the new driver I noticed the task bar turned transparent this is important for later. It then prompted me to restart the PC to finish the install of the new driver. I restarted and when the pc restored power i noticed the monitor show a no signal status. I began my search for the problem that has led me here. I have tried mostly everything. new HDMI and new monitor to no luck. After a lot of messing around i could not get even the onboard graphics from my MOBO to display a signal. I finally found that when i disconnect the 8 pin connection to the GPU it will allow the onboard graphics to display a signal. So i finally had access to windows again and i figured i would delete what ever software i had downloaded. But using programs like AMD clean and DDU I could not get the GPU to display again. I noticed the task bar was still transparent and i think this is an indicator of the software still being on my pc. However I am at a loss. I reseated the card, I open the BIOS and made sure nothing was wrong there and still no luck. I'm beginning to think i somehow fried my card but the lights and fans still spin. I really don't know what to do and I'm looking for literally any help here.

EDIT: real quick I'm not too savvy with computers but i think me disabling power to the GPU means the driver deleting programs like DDU i tried weren't able to recognize the hardware thus not uninstalling the drivers i need uninstalled. but that puts me in a rough spot because I can only access windows with the GPU unplugged so I cant plug it in for DDU to recognize it.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? You might want to see if your motherboard is pending a BIOS update. For good measure, what are the specs to your system? You might want to also state where you sourced your installation for CoD Cold War.

Nov 15, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your PSU and it's age? You might want to see if your motherboard is pending a BIOS update. For good measure, what are the specs to your system? You might want to also state where you sourced your installation for CoD Cold War.

Hey thanks for answering and welcoming me. My PSU is an EVGA NEX750B it is roughly three to four years old I put the whole thing together and haven't replaced anything except some new ram sticks a while back but they didn't impact performance much. I also checked online and I'm not confident but I don't think I have a necessary BIOS update also I'm not too advanced in all this stuff so forgive me if I'm wrong but how would the driver I installed affect the BIOS on the mobo. and before I list my specs I downloaded CoD cold war from the Blizzard client no shady torrents or any of that stuff.

PC specs:
CPU: Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 Mhz, 4 Core(s),
GPU: MSI RX 470 4gb
RAM: two 8gb ballistic sticks
MOBO: msi h110m gaming (ms-7994)
PSU: EVGA NEX750B
HDD: western digital 1tb
SSD: seagate 500gb