GPU MINING ILLEGAL? (experiencing some weird behavior in multiple PC repair shops)

calcite

Prominent
Feb 13, 2018
Hi, :|

I went to three local PC repair shops, and they all acted weird when they saw my RX 470 (Mining Edition)! They completely refused to help, because it it is Bitcoin mining card and they don't repair such a hardware. But all I wanted was to test if any different PC recognizes GPU as device. Simple and easy don't see much difference from regular RX 470. They acted like I am doing something that is not allowed...
Are GPU mining illegal? Why they refused to help?

So here is the full story of my problem:

I used my old GTX760 and new Sapphire RX 470 Mining Edition (BIOS MODED and patched driver) for about 1 month no problem.
Bought 2x RX VEGA 64 cards, but somehow 2. and 3. PCIE slot on Mobo was not working anymore.
I came up with conclusion that my old x79 Mobo is faulty.

So I bought new PC:
CPU: Threadripper 1950x
COOLER: Enermax 360mm
MOBO: MSI X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
RAM: G.Skill 32GB
SSD: 2x256GB ADATA SX900
PSU: RM1000i

Now I'm running 2x RX VEGA 64 in first and second PCIE 16x slot no problem.
But when I try to add RX 470 as 3rd PCIE 4X-8x or 2nd PCIE 16x it is not detected (fans not spinning)
When I tested my old GTX 760 it is working good as 3rd GPU.

SO FAR TESTED COMBINATIONS:

Only 2x VEGA 64
1) PCIE 16x VEGA 64 (good) 2) PCIE 16x VEGA 64 (good)

Added RX470
1) PCIE 16x VEGA 64 (good) 2) PCIE 16x VEGA 64 (not detected - fans not spinning) 3) PCIE 4x-8x RX 470 (not detected - fans not spinning)
1) PCIE 16x VEGA 64 (good) 2) PCIE 16x RX 470 (not detected - fans not spinning)

I think new Mobo this time should be OK because GTX 760 is working.
1) PCIE 16x VEGA 64 (good) 2) PCIE 16x VEGA 64 (good) 3) PCIE 4x-8x GTX 760 (good)

DDU drivers several times it does not help.
So I came up with conclusion that there is some kind of problem with RX 470.
Can it be RX 470 MODED BIOS error (Bricked) or is it somehow shorted? or maybe new Mobo CPU faulty again?

I will try USB booted force BIOS flash, can it help?
Whitch GPU (0 or 1) number should I choose if I use RX 470 as second card in second 16x slot?
Don't want flash wrong card...

So far I'm only having nothing but problems...
Too bad I didn't know that before, I regret that I ever get in to mining.... :'(

I undervolted and optimized everything but with 0,17 cents Kwh and current difficulty I will never get half of my money back.
Worst that I'm not able to use my new PC normally for work as planned and I have to live in that noise.

Calcite asked: "Are GPU mining illegal? Why they refused to help?"
Not surprising that a shop will not touch a Sapphire RX 470 Mining Edition (BIOS MODED and patched driver) <- this is the reason. why? , putting myself in their shoes for a moment, I have no idea what you modded how you modded and if you have malicious code that you may not be even aware, plugging this card into any system of mine, may endure the risk of getting a problem, that is why.

"Can it be RX 470 MODED BIOS error (Bricked) or is it somehow shorted? or maybe new Mobo CPU faulty again?"
if your testing this card and it isn't running on the old or the new board, I would suspect the modified video card, simple test, alone on a motherboard, if that works re-flash it back to basic bios and try again. if it doesn't work by itself, sound to me "its dead jim" to quote someone.

4745454b

Titan
Where are you located?

Unlike Paladin I'm not concerned about the modded bios and patched driver. Sapphire did that, not you correct? It could be it's illegal in your country, or more likely they don't have any experience with that card and don't want to deal with it.

From what I can tell the card has given up its ghost. I kind of thought it might be bricked but you didn't mention any issues on that end. The memory inside is important. There is a specific mod for those with Samsung, Elpida or Hynix memory. One mod does not fit all.

GPU mining is not illegal. Their refusals to test the card are actions that can only be explained by those who refused you service. It wasn't like you were trying to sell it to them. I wouldn't want it either if that were the case. A modded BIOS with mining as a priority does not make a gamer happy.

I'm sorry you had to go through all this. I did do some checking because I have an EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid. In the end it seemed more trouble than it would worth unless I had a dedicated mining rig and another 5 of those.

4745454b

Titan
I thought in the OP the 470 worked by itself? Does it work at all?

I also just saw you are using a 1kW PSU. That's too small for a TR CPU, two Vega 64 cards, and a 470. I'm surprised it works with the 760. It must be working because you aren't loading up the CPU. The Vega's are 300W+ cards, so two of them is 600W+ TR is another 180W, so you are looking at around 800W if you load up the CPU and both Vega's. That's already 80% of the output of the PSU and not enough room to safely add another GPU.

calcite

Prominent
Feb 13, 2018
Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate it!

I did quick search and found out something. It is completely illegal just in few countries.
It is not completely illegal in my country, but attitude toward cryptocurrency is is horrible here.
Current status: contentious (interpretation of old laws, but bitcoin isn't prohibited directly)

MORE DETAILS:

No sapphire did not Moded this card. I did it.
My RX 470 model have Elpida memory and I did BIOS flash successfully for exact mining model, and It was working fine moded about month at low power draw and high has rate. Card was recognized by mobo and device manager no problem ,but at first it had an error code 41 (at device manager as I remember) that's why I patched driver to recognize it. It is normal as I understand with moded cards and newest AMD drivers.

Problem started when I bought new VEGA 64 cards and uninstalled patched drivers. I took out GTX 760 and RX 470 from my old Mobo ASUS p9x79 and first installed only one VEGA 64 and after both VEGA 64 cards and realized that 2. card was not working. Installed old cards back again and same second card was not recognized anymore 1. GTX 760 and 2. RX 470 (worked fine before). Tested all cards on first PCIE slot except RX 470 (Mining edition) because it does not have HDMI and VGA video outputs, it is not meant to be primary card I guess. Made fresh windows 10 install, CMOS, tweaked Mobo bios. Nothing helped. Told this to ASUS and their reply was that it is possible CPU or Motherboard problem.
So I bought new PC. MSI x399 mobo, TR CPU...

I am not able to test RX 470 card by it's own on first PCIE slot, because it does not have HDMI VGA output - when installed my PC Beeps (NO VGA device detected)

And I don't think that it is power issue, because I took one VEGA 64 card out when tested 2. PCIE slot. My total System + CPU + 2x Vegas at Full load power draw is only 500W from the wall.

Did moded RX470 somehow broke my old x79 Motherboard??
Is it safe to try it again in my new system and use USB GPU bios flash???

Here is what I want to try out looks interesting but is it safe?

How to FIX your Bricked GPU BIOS - Bootable DOS Drive Method
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTqNP-N38BY

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If cryptocurrency is a gray area socially in your country, I can understand the reactions. Crypto's perfectly legal in the US and *I* have a negative reaction to requests for crypto; it's always a bit awkward when I see a crypto question knowing that the mining craze is severely damaging this hobby. Generally speaking, I even skip over the crypto-related problems if it looks like one. Now, they're paid for this, but combine various factors like this and adding in a modded BIOS could result in their unwillingness. But you'd have to ask the people.

calcite

Prominent
Feb 13, 2018
I didn't tried the USB flash method yet ,but I noticed something with my windows installation.
It is installed as "legacy" (not "UEFI") can this be cause of the problem?

But it looks like it is not recognized by motherboard more like hardware problem because fans on the card are not spinning at all...