smdg

Commendable
Feb 3, 2019
Hi! I have a Gigabyte RX460 4GB, and recently Some stuff happened, and I saw 3 mosfets on the front burnt, 1 of them was melted while two were like, never there. So yea anyways, I went to a repair guy and he replaced the one that melted while he didn't know bout the other 2 so he left em as is. Anyways I ran the GPU and its giving its display and stuff nothing wrong with that however when I run games, I get a Grey Screen, sometimes black, sometimes Orange and need to forcefully restart my PC.

So yea got a few questions,
  1. Can I keep running GPU without those MOSFETs?
  2. Is the Grey Screen related to MOSFET Issue? or could it be a Windows Issue?
  3. At this point, is getting it repaired better or buying a new one,

I'm attaching pictures of the mosfets, the two on the right were like "never there" Attaching another image of the Same board ( off of google ) where they are there.
Google Image ( Yea I circled one wrong )
https://ibb.co/S5Z4b9f

My own GPU, The one that's melted has been replaced
https://ibb.co/v3fp7Rq
The two on the Right seem to have blown or something idk
https://ibb.co/TgSHg3d

you should probably fill it up
they work in pairs to send clean energy to your gpu
capacitors and inductors are all there (that square with R22), which means x2 mosfets should be present aswell

460-10b.jpg

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The missing components absolutely can cause this problem. Whether repairing it makes sense depends on how much it would cost you. There's no guarantee that the GPU will work if the MOSFETs are replaced. Usually, something like this has to have been caused by something, which you haven't given any indication of (what PSU is being used?). Also, you have to factor in the age of the GPU and the apparent lack of care in keeping it clean.

Unless you can get it done for under $50, I'm not sure it's worth the risk. When a used 1050 or 1050 Ti can be found for $100-$120, it would be hard to justify spending, say, $80 to repair an inferior used GPU which might still not work after the repair.

smdg

Commendable
Feb 3, 2019
you should probably fill it up
they work in pairs to send clean energy to your gpu
capacitors and inductors are all there (that square with R22), which means x2 mosfets should be present aswell

460-10b.jpg
Hi, thanks for replying,
So any MOSFETS can work or do I need to get the specific ones?

smdg

Commendable
Feb 3, 2019
The missing components absolutely can cause this problem. Whether repairing it makes sense depends on how much it would cost you. There's no guarantee that the GPU will work if the MOSFETs are replaced. Usually, something like this has to have been caused by something, which you haven't given any indication of (what PSU is being used?). Also, you have to factor in the age of the GPU and the apparent lack of care in keeping it clean.
Thanks for replying,
It was caused due to high voltage like above 260 Volts, I haven't really checked the PSU but its probably some non branded one,

Anyways here's what happened, Due to High Voltage My PC shut off automatically, GPU was probably being fully utilized during that time so must have overheated causing that afaik,
and when I tried pressing the power button again Mobo would give a light beep and no fans would start, All I knew was that its probs caused by GPU or Ram or something so I reseated both of them ( Didn't know it shut down due to high voltage at that time ) and when I powered it on, GPU Caught fire So I immediately cut off the power, But yea a MOSFET melted, and most probably the other 2 must have blown up or something.

While we're at this topic, Is it possible or OK to connect PC to a Voltage Stabilizer?
"Unless you can get it done for under $50, I'm not sure it's worth the risk. When a used 1050 or 1050 Ti can be found for $100-$120, it would be hard to justify spending, say, $80 to repair an inferior used GPU which might still not work after the repair."
Yea was thinking of doing the same if repair wasn't possible in a cheaper rate.
In any case thanks for help. I'll see what I can do.

smdg

Commendable
Feb 3, 2019
It's also quite possible more is wrong than the damage you see.

What is the exact PSU you're using?
Power Rex III 500W ( Image uploaded from Google but its the exact same that's inside my PC )
c6681accdeb3106a0211fdbf761b9b55

I tried a few tweaks like Underclocking GPU Clock speed to about -15%, does let me through to the Loading screen of some games but then again crashes, Grey, Orange and sometimes black screen appears,

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If you're worried about frying things, a decade-old PSU from a dodgy off-brand, with an obvious group-regulated design that screams a 1998 design is an odd choice.

How do you know that it was caused by 260V? How did you measure that? In any case, I would not use this PSU with any discrete GPU.

smdg

Commendable
Feb 3, 2019
If you're worried about frying things, a decade-old PSU from a dodgy off-brand, with an obvious group-regulated design that screams a 1998 design is an odd choice.

How do you know that it was caused by 260V? How did you measure that? In any case, I would not use this PSU with any discrete GPU.
I do agree with that XD. Had the PSU Lying around and didn't really care much about a 5 year old GPU that much as it'd die sooner or later anyways So Paired em up.

As for Voltage I got a Voltmeter for em,

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.