[SOLVED] GPU/Motherboard compatibility check!

Apr 23, 2020
Recently I've been having strange issues with my monitors - randomly shutting off and while connected to the video card, they endlessly try to boot over and over. When I unplug the hdmi cable, they simply idle to sleep like normal. I've tried three monitors with two different power cords, in a couple different outlets around the house as my first thought was a possible power surge shorting something out ( one of the monitors is stuck in this boot loop even when the hdmi is unplugged, she's gone jim ) but now I'm thinking it's the video card itself. At the very, very least: the hdmi port is loose and will need replacing even if that isn't the main issue.

Currently, I have an AMD Radeon 580 ( 4GB ) and an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 six-core processor, this is a shelf-bought computer from Best Buy and I just don't have the funds to build one from scratch or upgrade more than it would take to fix this one problem.

I am looking at upgrading to a MSI GTX 1660 Super 6GB but I want to be sure there won't be any compatibility issues with the motherboard before I buy this and can't return it! ( Also this isn't the forum, I know, but if anyone can tack on cheaper but decent monitors for casual gaming I'd appreciate it! My current pair are close to 12 years old and it is definitely time for an upgrade there too. )

I appreciate any help!
EDIT: It's worth mentioning the pc itself just turned a year old and hasn't really been under heavy strain. It only has two fans and tends to get really hot while playing RDR2/ARK: Survival Evolved but I have a temperature monitor so I know when to take a break and let it cool off, as well as an external box fan.

Solution
with your 580 problem, i dont think i have any idea what is the problem. i mean, it could be the hdmi port on the gpu, it could be a bad driver, it may be the whole gpu broken, i dont know. but you could flash your gpu bios if you can
and you can buy without problems that 1660s, you need only a pci express slot and some pcie connectors from your psu and thats it (the vast majority of consumer motherboards have at least 1 pci express slot from the last decade)
Apr 20, 2020
with your 580 problem, i dont think i have any idea what is the problem. i mean, it could be the hdmi port on the gpu, it could be a bad driver, it may be the whole gpu broken, i dont know. but you could flash your gpu bios if you can
and you can buy without problems that 1660s, you need only a pci express slot and some pcie connectors from your psu and thats it (the vast majority of consumer motherboards have at least 1 pci express slot from the last decade)

Solution