[SOLVED] GPU/Motherboard or Both having a issue

Nov 24, 2020
Hi,

Parts: MSI 970 Motherboard, GTX760 GPU

Im troubleshooting a friend PC and the issue is it cannot display anything. A new 650W PSU was purchased previously as he thought that was the issue. He states it turned on and worked for the two times he tried it, but later on when he eventually tried it again (he didnt use it for a while) it wasn't working again.

Steps I have tried:
  • Put his GPU in my machine - fans didnt spin and still no display. At this point I thought ok GPU is bad then.
  • Tried my working RX480 GPU in his PC - fans didnt spin nor did the LEDs light up. Huh??
  • My RX480's LED is powered by the motherboard not the power supply (if u plug out psu from it and turn on machine the LEDs light up) but the LEDs didnt even light up in his machine.
  • I then tried both mine and his GPU in the second PCI slot still no cigar.
  • Lastly tried a CMOS reset and used only 1 stick of ram just for trying thats sake...
**I should note the light on his motherboard does light up

Pretty stuck now, is there anything i can do to verify if its the GPU the Motherboard or both that has gone bad? Or could this be something else?

Nov 24, 2020
Is motherboard might have short so it does it on gpu also been touch also made sure no debug led or code comes on when you try to power the board use only 1 ram module at the time for test .
Yeah itried with only 1 stick of ram already. Are u saying a short in motherboard could have lead to damage to the GPU?