[SOLVED] GPU (msi 1080 x) PCI-E 6 pin shorts computer

xander.dec

Reputable
May 13, 2018
Hello all, I recently ran into a problem with my computer where every time I turn it on it almost immediately shuts off. The lights will flash on and then off again. It is not a problem with the motherboard as the PCI-EX slots are A-OK. Unfortunately, I noticed that whenever the 6 pin PCI-E connecter was plugged in (there is also an 8 pin) the problem occurs. However, when the 8 pin is plugged in the card gets power but is not recognized by the system for obvious reasons. Is there a way I can fix this? I already tried to substitute the card into another system and the same exact thing happened. At this point, I might just cook my card in the oven. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Stuffing the card in the oven will not help. With symphtoms you are describing, the most likely culpit is one of the VRMs on the graphics card has gone bad.
It is quite fixable if you have the tools and can get your hands on spare parts.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Stuffing the card in the oven will not help. With symphtoms you are describing, the most likely culpit is one of the VRMs on the graphics card has gone bad.
It is quite fixable if you have the tools and can get your hands on spare parts.

Solution