[SOLVED] GPU need helping finding a new card

jdog1089

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Looking for recommendations for a new GPU. Currently have a MSI GeForce 980 ti.

I love playing games, apex legends, Fortnite, no man sky’s, mordahu, Minecraft, and oculus rift s, lol just to name a few. I want to play any game, just wanted to give a spectrum of what I play.

I’m not trying to upgrade anything else unless I need to.

Looking for maybe something less $500. If you have a few different cards in mind at different prices list them , I would also appreciate it.

My other info:
I7-6700k 8m quad core4.0 ghz
32 GB of ram
850w power supply
Mobo - MSI z170a gaming M7

Thanks in advance.

Solution
That wouldn’t cause a bottleneck, right? The other components I think are still pretty good. I don’t think it would, though I still feel like an amateur at pc building.
There's always bottleneck my dude. Sometimes the CPU can't keep up with the GPU in a 100% capacity, sometimes vice versa. Back in the day, the i7-6700k and GTX 1080 pair was famous. So I wouldn't see why a 2070 Super/5700 xt would cause any headache. So performance wise, you will be fine.

jdog1089

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Well, for 500 bucks, 2070 super, and with some less cash ($400) but close performance (Not neck in neck, but close)..RX 5700 XT.
That wouldn’t cause a bottleneck, right? The other components I think are still pretty good. I don’t think it would, though I still feel like an amateur at pc building.

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
There's always bottleneck my dude. Sometimes the CPU can't keep up with the GPU in a 100% capacity, sometimes vice versa. Back in the day, the i7-6700k and GTX 1080 pair was famous. So I wouldn't see why a 2070 Super/5700 xt would cause any headache. So performance wise, you will be fine.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Solution

jdog1089

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

sweet. Yeah I just read a couple articles. The articles all pretty much say you can’t do much to fix the problem either. That’s good to hear though, the whole reason why I got a pc is to upgrade maybe a couple of components not the whole pc. So the cpu is still good though I don’t need eight core cpu lol. As I’m thinking about cpus the only thing that changes about them is the bus memory and how many physical core they have. And not the actual speed.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Aren’t CPU’s almost at a stand still? They cant make the transistor any faster Which is the speed of the cpu. Though the bus memory size gets bigger and same with the amount of cpu cores.

I might be totally wrong, i read something like that a few years back.
I don't know what you're referring to by "bus memory size".

Intel chips today are typically running ~500 MHz faster compared to 6th gen, so ~12% faster per-core performance in theory. So not huge, but not nothing. AMD chips have improved hugely compared to what they had when you got your 6700K (not in frequency, but in instructions per clock or IPC), but they were so far behind back then that they've only got to the point where they're approximately on par with Intel (if both were at the same clock speed, but Intel chips can typically clock noticeably higher).

But yes, for the most part the biggest difference between then and now is how many cores you can get, and price per core.

Last edited: