[SOLVED] Gpu needs 2 6 pins, I only have one

Aug 28, 2019
I’m a bit inexperienced here, I just got a new used gpu and it’s a full-size and it has like 12 holes for the pin connector, I only have one 6 pin, will this one work? Or do I need an adapter?

Solution
Which PSU model is it ? If it lacks sufficient PCI-E connectors, then it was not meant to power any mid-range/high-end GPUs, or those cards requiring more than 1 6-PIN cable. You need to buy a compatible PSU, since using MOLEX adapters isn't recommended either.

Which GPU are you actually having ?
Which PSU model is it ? If it lacks sufficient PCI-E connectors, then it was not meant to power any mid-range/high-end GPUs, or those cards requiring more than 1 6-PIN cable. You need to buy a compatible PSU, since using MOLEX adapters isn't recommended either.

Which GPU are you actually having ?

Solution

koson123

Prominent
Oct 12, 2018
you can buy adapters if the psu is adequate. like sata power to 6 pin or something. but tbh buy a new psu it will pay off in the end and the efficiency on a new one will likely be better anyways.

you can buy adapters if the psu is adequate. like sata power to 6 pin or something. but tbh buy a new psu it will pay off in the end and the efficiency on a new one will likely be better anyways.

The first two posters I agree with. The first two sentences above I strongly disagree with, as it's often the adapters themselves that melt. The third sentence is the best piece of advice in this particular response.

Basically when it comes to power, if it doesn't have what's required to power a 12 pin setup, then it was never made to power such a setup.

I know it sux, but you need to buy a PSU that has been designed to power the kit you want to use.