[SOLVED] GPU needs to be downclocked to avoid crashing

Scott Baban

Distinguished
May 13, 2015
My GPU needs to be downclocked to a -50mhz on core clock and memory clock on Afterburner to avoid screen-freeze on games or just viewing videos.

The GPU is a ZOTAC GTX 1080 Ti AMP! Edition, bought it last 2 years ago. It was worked fine until last year. Is there a fix to this problem? RMA's out of the question as I've lost the receipt and the logistics would be too pricey for me.

System:
Ryzen 5 2600
B450M DS3H
16GB 3000mHz
GTX 1080 Ti AMP! Ed.

Solution
Normally having to downclock means either the cards VRM's or vram is failing. In this case since you have to downclock speeds as well as memory, I'd say it's the VRM's that are going. They may be fine, it might just be a case of them overheating at the factory OC settings, pushing too much amperage, but either way that's where I believe the issue is.

You could try replacing the heatpads, they aren't expensive, will also require repasting the gpu, but if that fails to fix the issue, then just like a hdd with a bad sector, it'll only be a matter of time before the VRM's fail completely and render the card unusable.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Normally having to downclock means either the cards VRM's or vram is failing. In this case since you have to downclock speeds as well as memory, I'd say it's the VRM's that are going. They may be fine, it might just be a case of them overheating at the factory OC settings, pushing too much amperage, but either way that's where I believe the issue is.

You could try replacing the heatpads, they aren't expensive, will also require repasting the gpu, but if that fails to fix the issue, then just like a hdd with a bad sector, it'll only be a matter of time before the VRM's fail completely and render the card unusable.

Solution

Scott Baban

Distinguished
May 13, 2015

I would try this soon, sadly I haven't found any computer tech near where I live. I don't trust myself replacing stuff that involves the internal parts. Thank you sir!

TRENDING THREADS