Question GPU new thermal pads suggestion?

vici12

Honorable
Jul 20, 2016
I'd like to change the thermal pads on my ASUS TUF RTX 3090, as the memory is running very hot when at full load.

Can anyone recommend some great thermal pads for this 3090 that I could order off amazon uk? Along with what thickness / size to choose?

I've fully assembled computers lots of times before, changed CPU paste, but I've never taken the heatsink or other parts off a GPU, as it always felt scary to me because they are so expensive; thus, I don't even know where the memory modules are located on mine, or how to safely change the default pads :LOL:
I'd like to also replace the GPU's thermal paste when I change the pads, but I guess I need to ask... what are the odds I'm gonna ruin my GPU lol

As long as you replace everything that had a thermal pad or paste, it should be fine. Regarding size and thickness, that depends. You'll just have to take the measurements yourself when you crack it open.

As far as which thermal pads to go for, I can't really make a recommendation since I've only bought one set for another project and it was Thermal Grizzly's Minus Pads. However as an alternative, I'd also recommend K5 Pro Viscous Thermal Paste. It's meant to be a thermal pad alternative. Something like this is often used in laptops now and days, for instance my last one:
SyqRsbg.jpg

However, regarding the paste do not use Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut. It degrades at 80C and is thinner, risking pump out. As the name suggests, it's actually meant for low temperature applications, i.e., phase change or LN2 cooling. It just happens to work fine outside of that until 80C.