Question GPU no display

Feb 19, 2022
My brother lent me his PC while he’s away. He built it in 2016 and up until I moved it to my house it was working perfectly. When I moved it I switched his hard drive for mine which was previously in my PC that stopped working. I also took out the GPU fan at the top cause it was covered in a thick layer of dust and cleaned it. When I tried to boot, the monitor says HDMI no display. I tried a different HDMI cable, and opened up the side to make sure nothing was knocked loose, it still didn’t work. i plugged the HDMI into the motherboard and that way I was able to boot up, I can see in device manager that the GPU is listed and says it’s working properly. It’s also showing up in task manager at 2% usage. Plus the fans come on every time. I did a BIOS reset, no change. No matter what I do it will not connect to the monitor. I really don’t know much about computers, so I have no idea what might be causing the problem. The GPU is GTX 970. I wonder if something could have been damaged from moving, I don’t see any obvious signs but to be honest I don’t know how to tell… is there a way to fix this ??

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
My brother lent me his PC while he’s away. He built it in 2016 and up until I moved it to my house it was working perfectly. When I moved it I switched his hard drive for mine which was previously in my PC that stopped working. I also took out the GPU fan at the top cause it was covered in a thick layer of dust and cleaned it. When I tried to boot, the monitor says HDMI no display. I tried a different HDMI cable, and opened up the side to make sure nothing was knocked loose, it still didn’t work. i plugged the HDMI into the motherboard and that way I was able to boot up, I can see in device manager that the GPU is listed and says it’s working properly. It’s also showing up in task manager at 2% usage. Plus the fans come on every time. I did a BIOS reset, no change. No matter what I do it will not connect to the monitor. I really don’t know much about computers, so I have no idea what might be causing the problem. The GPU is GTX 970. I wonder if something could have been damaged from moving, I don’t see any obvious signs but to be honest I don’t know how to tell… is there a way to fix this ??
Put his drive back in and remove yours.