GPU - No Signal - Detected in BIOS, not in Windows

ryanwdillon97

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
Computer Specs:

I used 'Speccy' to obtain the following information...

Operating System:
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit SP1

CPU:
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM:
24.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @666MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard:
MSI Z87-G45 GAMING (MS-7821) (Socket 0)

Graphics:
GN246HL (1920x1080@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (MSI)

Storage:
279GB Western Digital WDC WD3000HLFS-60G6U SCSI Disk Device (SATA)

Optical Drives:
hp CDDVDW TS-H653R SCSI CdRom Device

Audio:
Realtek High Definition Audio

Graphics card(s) I own, but is not detected by 'Speccy':
RoG NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB GDDR5
Also used for diagnostics:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

PSU is 700W I think.

Issue:

Integrated graphics are working fine, however whenever I switch to my graphics card, I get "No Signal".

NOTE: When I visit the board explorer in my BIOS, the device is detected in the correct slot with the following description:-
"PCIE2 X16 : NVIDIA Corporation. VGA-compatible controller,Running at X16 2.5 GT/s"

With this in mind, I still get "no signal" both before and after booting into Windows.

What I've Tested Already:

I have tried the following:
Switching the video cable.
Swapped graphics card, same outcome. I also replaced my 1060 and still, no signal. Effectively have tried 3 graphics cards, not likely the issue.
I have swapped monitors.
I have reinstalled my OS and installed other versions of Windows.
I have booted into Windows safe mode (my GPU used to display in safe mode, but currently does not, this is since sending it away to a shop for diagnostics).
Most driver related resolutions, including manual removal and installations of drivers, however I don't see how downloading drivers for the device should be a problem as it should work (with lowered performance) anyway.
Seating the card in a different slot.

Additional Notes:

I used to use my 760, which worked fine. When I upgraded to the 1060, my computer had many problems such as sometimes the computer would not boot at all and also BSODs would occur at seemingly arbitrary times, normally shortly after loading windows. At this point, when booting into Safe Mode, I would receive display on my monitor from the graphics card. This is no longer the case.

I sent the computer away and they claimed to have fixed the issue, but I noticed no difference and could not send it back as I had uni.

I since replaced the 1060 and I still get the "no signal" error and I personally believe it's likely to be the Motherboard getting damaged during the seating of the new card, but there is no visible harm.

I am hoping that someone will point out something that I have missed, before I go out and just buy a new motherboard for no reason.

TL;DR:

Motherboard detects my graphics card, Windows does not. Before and after booting into Windows, receive no signal from card.

Would appreciate any help, I have tried to fix this problem for over half a year to no avail.

-Ryan

Solution
I've removed the graphics card now, as most of the time, my computer boots into windows but I no longer receive a video signal from my iGPU now. This is resolved when I physically remove the device.
If you can't get the display signal from onboard iGPU, either the CPU or the MB has problem. If you don't have the compatible cpu or MB to test, you are better to ask someone for help, like your friend or local PC shop. I think you may just check the cpu socket to see any bent pin(s) or not even you never remove the cpu. But make sure reapply the thermal compound.

ryanwdillon97

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

My mistake, it's actually a Corsair GS600, so 600W. I have tried seating my card in a different pcie slot, and have also tried both graphics cards with and without their respective drivers. Of course, removing the others' driver when switching. I currently have no drivers installed and should expect a poor, but present, signal, but I do not.

I'm assuming I shouldn't remove the on-board graphics' drivers? I currently have the Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 driver installed.

ryanwdillon97

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
UPDATE: So my 760 randomly decided to work. I'm not sure if this is an inconsistency thing or I made a mistake with the description of my problem, but currently my 760 works and my 1060 does not. I don't know what this means for the nature of my problem, as I'm still very sure that the graphics card itself is fine. I will test it in a friend's computer tomorrow and will get back to this thread.

ryanwdillon97

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

I can see an unidentified device in my device manager and believe this to be my card. Does this mean anything to you?

Also, I have since updated my BIOS to 1.9, and this has not solved my issue and I sometimes to not receive a video signal even from my on-board graphics.

Also, I have since updated my BIOS to 1.9, and this has not solved my issue and I sometimes to not receive a video signal even from my on-board graphics.
If you had the same problem by using the onboard iGPU, that means the MB has problem.

And you are better to try this: Reapply thermal compound (* usually you will need to reapply every fews yr), Use only one stick RAM, onboard iGPU, the boot device, clear the CMOS by removing the CMOS batter or by the jumper. Boot the PC fews time to make sure you can get the display everytime when you boot up the PC. If you have problem, that means the MB may have problem.

ryanwdillon97

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

I haven't used any thermal compound to my knowledge, but will see if resetting the CMOS helps. Thanks.

ryanwdillon97

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

Okay, so I have some information that might help. I'm having trouble booting my PC, but when I do boot up, there are a number of outcomes concerning my GPU. In device manager, it's either showing no display adapter besides my iGPU, showing the default windows VGA adapter (with a yellow warning), displaying my GPU's driver (also with a yellow warning), or displaying the GPU's driver correctly and this is when it works. I do not know what is causing the change, but maybe it could help to know?

I recently used DDU to uninstall any driver's I previously had, so I doubt it's a multiple driver issue.

Any ideas about what I could do here?

ryanwdillon97

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
So I've done some work, perhaps found some more information that could help.

I started by disabling my iGPU display adapter in device manager, and this 'revealed' the driver for my 760 (again with the yellow warning).

The details of the warning say the following:

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

I don't understand what this error means I have disabled the only other graphics adapter and only have 1 GPU installed.

I looked in system information but didn't really know what to look for. I have linked some images of what I could see, I don't think it will be of any help however.

https://imgur.com/74JYdfP

https://imgur.com/4okPkzX

1) Do you have other add-on device in other pcie slot?

2) Do you try manully to install the intel chipset driver that I added before?

3) The MB has three pciex16 slots, do you try the gpu in other one yet?

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
That means all free resources have been allocated to other devices, nothing is available for the GPU.

*My work place does not allow me to open those images, sorry.

ryanwdillon97

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

1) I don't have any other devices in my slots.

2) I installed the latest version of my BIOS and am installing the chipset now.

3) I have tried one other slot, but the third has no room for my gpu.

I think I understand what the code 12 is telling me, but I don't understand how it could have come about, knowing I don't have any other devices installed.

I've removed the graphics card now, as most of the time, my computer boots into windows but I no longer receive a video signal from my iGPU now. This is resolved when I physically remove the device.

I'm normally quite good at diagnosing a problem, as it's normally self explanatory, but I have no idea what to do with this.

If you can't get the display signal from onboard iGPU, either the CPU or the MB has problem. If you don't have the compatible cpu or MB to test, you are better to ask someone for help, like your friend or local PC shop. I think you may just check the cpu socket to see any bent pin(s) or not even you never remove the cpu. But make sure reapply the thermal compound.

Solution