Question GPU no signal, tried EVERYTHING

Oct 3, 2022
I was getting ready to upgrade GPUs (1060-->6800xt) last week, and one day removed the old 1060 GPU and reinserted it into same socket while power off, but then the troubles began.

On the 1060, I started getting into a situation where GPU fans running but no signal on comp monitor or when plugged into TV. This had previously been a reliable build for 1+ year.

Purchased new 6800XT, and removed 1060 and put in 6800xt thinking that might fix problem. New 6800 GPU lights up, fans do not spin, no signal on monitor. Have tried resetting CMOS at least 10x. Have tried removing all RAM. Have tried booting with only one RAM in A2 slot at a time. Have tried using a different PCIE slot. I have ensured all connections snugly connected, including the PSU to CPU 8pin, and there are two independent PSU --> GPU 8pin PCIe connectors firmly attached. Have tried different cable, switching from DP monitor cable to HDMI and back. Have tried multiple displays, always no signal. Bought a new Corsair 850watt PSU today, no difference. Tried quick reflashing Bios today, no difference.

I cannot get to BIOS as my monitor is black. The mobo lights up when hit power, corsair Ram RGB lights up, CPU fans spin, but GPU fans do not spin on the 6800XT. No warning LEDs lit on mobo. No beeps.

Hardware:
-5950x chip (1 yr old)

-rog strix 570e mobo (1 yr old)

-750watt evga gen 2 PSU --> bought new corsair 850watt PSU today

-corsair RBG 16gb ram-6800xt GPU

-2 seperate PCIe cords from PSU to GPU

What do I do now...? There is no integrated graphics so no way to even get to BIOS

Last edited:
You are CERTAIN you are not connecting the display cable to the motherboard instead of the graphics card's video outputs?

Are you using a power strip or UPS system? If so, don't. Plug the power cable for your PSU directly into the wall socket. Plug your display directly into the wall socket as well.

I know you said you reset the CMOS, but there are different methods for doing so and in some cases they have a different result.

Try this. Remove your graphics card and do a hard reset.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now take a flashlight and make absolutely certain there is nothing in the PCIe slot. No little bits of anything. No protective plastic wrapping bits or anything at all. Then install the 6800XT making SURE it is completely seated and that the lock engages the cutout in the bottom of the graphics card. Secure it to the back panel and connect your HDMI cable to the graphics card.

Disconnect ALL drives except the drive your OS is installed on. And I mean completely disconnect them. Do not leave SATA data or power cables connected to them if you have secondary drives. Make sure your memory is installed and fully seated in the A2 and B2 slots.

Reconnect your power cable, flip the PSU switch back to the on position and power on the computer to see if you are able to POST. If not, then it is probable, however unlikely it might seem, that if there are no connections at all that are not fully and correctly plugged in that you have a problem with your motherboard.

Also, keep in mind for the future that "off" is not good enough when it comes to removing or installing hardware in your motherboard. It needs to be turned off, switch moved to the "0" position on the back of the PSU and PSU cable unplugged from the PSU or the wall before you do anything inside your case because just turned "off" is not actually "off" at all most of the time. There is still power going to the motherboard and various components attached to it. And maybe you did all that, but I'm guessing you simply shut it down and then pulled the card.

Oct 3, 2022
You are CERTAIN you are not connecting the display cable to the motherboard instead of the graphics card's video outputs?

Are you using a power strip or UPS system? If so, don't. Plug the power cable for your PSU directly into the wall socket. Plug your display directly into the wall socket as well.

I know you said you reset the CMOS, but there are different methods for doing so and in some cases they have a different result.

Try this. Remove your graphics card and do a hard reset.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now take a flashlight and make absolutely certain there is nothing in the PCIe slot. No little bits of anything. No protective plastic wrapping bits or anything at all. Then install the 6800XT making SURE it is completely seated and that the lock engages the cutout in the bottom of the graphics card. Secure it to the back panel and connect your HDMI cable to the graphics card.

Disconnect ALL drives except the drive your OS is installed on. And I mean completely disconnect them. Do not leave SATA data or power cables connected to them if you have secondary drives. Make sure your memory is installed and fully seated in the A2 and B2 slots.

Reconnect your power cable, flip the PSU switch back to the on position and power on the computer to see if you are able to POST. If not, then it is probable, however unlikely it might seem, that if there are no connections at all that are not fully and correctly plugged in that you have a problem with your motherboard.

Also, keep in mind for the future that "off" is not good enough when it comes to removing or installing hardware in your motherboard. It needs to be turned off, switch moved to the "0" position on the back of the PSU and PSU cable unplugged from the PSU or the wall before you do anything inside your case because just turned "off" is not actually "off" at all most of the time. There is still power going to the motherboard and various components attached to it. And maybe you did all that, but I'm guessing you simply shut it down and then pulled the card.

Hello Darkbreeze,

Thanks for help. As per suggestions, turned off power & removed all extra sata cables to extra HDD.
  1. yes I ensured wired directly to GPU and not mobo. Tried both DP, and separately HDMI, neither work
  2. I tried technique of removing CMOS battery and waiting 5 min, while also holding power. Didnt work. Even replaced new 2032 battery into CMOS battery slot. Positive side up as before
  3. carefully inspected PCIE slots, and no extra debris in slot interface. Brass looks clean. GPU seated and clicked into place
  4. PSU and monitor plugged into wall.

Terribly frustrating. It is my 5th build and worst one yet

So, I'd say that now you contact ASUS regarding an RMA on that motherboard, because there's really nothing else it could be, but, it might be worth at least trying to take it out of the case and bench test it per my guide, first.

TRENDING THREADS