Gpu noise palit 970 jetsream

vesko1963

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
Hello guys so few days i bought gtx 970 jetsream.Now i didn't hear any noise till i installed far cry 4 .Voice is like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR2RUO3yV4k at start u can hear it clearly before fans start spinning.Its not always there but u can hear it if u really put your head closer to case (only this game) .Is this coil noise ? Should i rma it i turned v sync still hear it but its not load.And its only in this game atm i play few games only thou diablo 3 LoL and cs go.This one was free with card.So anyone with jetsream do u have same sound should i be worry its damaged or will be damaged over time ?Sorry for all the stupid question but new to this thank you for understanding :) .

Solution
That is closure form their end and they have already stated that it isn't going to damage the GPU/card.

You're clear :D Now go and game on that card!

Lutfij

Titan
vesko,
have you played the CoD series? In the game when you are hit by a grenade(flash bang) you can hear a ringing noise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mqwPt2meNA

If that is the same ringing you're hearing from the GPU then yeah its coil whine but I'd ask you to read through this:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/778701/geforce-900-series/attention-people-with-noise-and-coil-whine-issues-on-their-970s/

FWIW,
maybe try to isolate the background sound and see if the noise you speak of is there :)

Hope this helps.

vesko1963

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
I ask coz i play other 3 games whit out making sound of card and this sound came on far cry 4 .Ofc they are not that heavy on graphics we talk about LoL and CS GO and D3.So was wondering is it just card making that noise or its famous coil whine but its defiantly not flash bang noise

vesko1963

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
Yes i can try open ticked see what they can tell me but buddy of mine told me they don't rma for coil whine.Because is harmless and won't damage me gpu still can try thou...Ah and often times goes away after month or two ...He had Gigabyte version had coil whine went away for month .

vesko1963

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
They told me its probably coil whine and will go away after while and every two cards of 970 one has coil whine .... So if its harmless and doesn't bother me should i return it ?

vesko1963

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
Don't know never returned card before , but never had that strange noise ppl call coil whine so not sure what to do now will contact palit to see what they think about that sound of this card.

vesko1963

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
They contacted me quite fast here is follow up.
Dear customer

Thank you for the mail.

For high ranking graphic card models the coil whine sound is unavoidable.
Here is a sample for your reference.
Input “970 coil whine” in Youtube website then search the results.
You can see almost all the graphic card brands have similar issue.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=970+coil+whine

All chokes and caps of the power circuit produce sound due to its working principle.
Just we tune the sound frequency out of human listening comprehension range.
However sometimes running some special applications might drop down the sound frequency into human listening comprehension range.
Then you'll hear the sound from the components.
It's a normal status and won’t cause graphic card error or shorten its life time.

The sound is not conspicuous if the graphic card is installed inside a PC case.
Most people need to get closed about 30cm distance then they might be able to hear the sound.

Please kindly be notified.
Thanks.

Palit Support
Palit Microsystem Ltd.

vesko1963

Reputable
Dec 17, 2014
Yes seems like it . Anyway me top fan of the case is not working at this moment.And me case is very open haf 922 maybe that's why i hear it .When put top fan noise should be reduced and hopefully with time gone :)

Lutfij

Titan
Thank you for selecting my post as the BA - I hope we've got the issue cleared up ? :)

If noise is something you are very particular about you could just buy some sound dampening material or better yet just move onto the Fractal Define R5 chassis. It comes with sound dampening and also has the top moduvent covers should you choose to use or not use the top ventilation.

The options for silencing your build can be:
1| Watercooling - going full custom loop with passive rads
2| Purchasing an aftermarket heatsink for the GPU
3| Sound dampening material(already mentioned above)
4| Purchasing some low rpm fans to maintain airflow

Explanation;
1| watercooling and moving the rads outside of the case will help you locate a rad farther away from your seating location
2| Aftermarket heatsinks are built for performing better than stock solutions otherwise they wouldn't be on the market(although some lesser components are found - should be avoided at all costs)
3| Sound dampening can be cheaper but will require some time and effort to setup inside the 922
4| From your video - The cooler on the Palit didn't kick in after reaching "X" degrees so I'm going to suggest that if you maintain a constant airflow within your chassis the fans on the GPU would remain off thus the suggestion to have some low rpm fans or high performance silent fans keeping the air circulating.

Suggestions for fans:
Noiseblocker NB M-12P
Noctua fans preferably in the NF series or the industrial range

TRENDING THREADS