[SOLVED] GPU Normal temps at 4k questions/settings

Joe_182

Honorable
Nov 7, 2016
I am new to 4k in general. I know my rig isn't beefy enough for 4k in some games, but I know for some games with DLSS I should be fine.

I5-12400 + ASUS 3070 KO
Meshify 2 Nano (SFF-ish which also is a factor for temps)

I am running Hellblade:Senua's sacrifice at the following settings. (3 year old game)

I am getting around 70-74 degrees and that's with my fan curve set to 100% at 70 degrees and up. Quite loud.

Is this normal for settings like this? I assume yes because it's pushing 4k, with low raytracing, DLSS on quality, and Medium settings. I get the same performance if I turn Ray tracing off and set the setting to high. (Can't decide which looks better tbh)

Just trying to get a feel for what is normal, I've been out of the game for years now, last had a GTX 1080 and only played 5 or so games on ultra at 1080p. So naturally never had an issue. Just not sure what to expect. I got this GPU off ebay as NEW but it was clearly opened and open box as the sticker steal had fingerprints underneath and fell right off. They are offering a good discount and said they got it from Newegg this way, or I can return it and just buy a new one. Just want to be sure the GPU isn't defective and running much hotter than normal before I keep it.

Thank you so much,

7a1oqdy.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
Umm, triple fan isn't always worse than dual, especially when/if the dual fan models use larger fans. [Looking at you, Noctua version.]

I guess to restructure the question then, this doesn't sound like it's the GPU being defective? And more just the thermal situation the case/dual fan GPU creates?
1)Not at all. Just physics at play.
2)Yes, but minus the dual fan gpu thing.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Your 'normal' will be better/the same/worse than others with the same hardware, so how to provide a concrete answer to the question? :unsure:

The triple slot gpu cooler and its fans' proximity to that psu shroud... I figure not much air volume passes between the remainin gap for the 3 fans to slurp up, and so the operating temperatures suffer if you try to run lower, and less annoying fan curves.
If there was more space, the fans wouldn't have to work as hard, allowing you to get away with lower fan curves.

The 70s(C) is well within spec for the core temperature.

Reactions: Joe_182

Joe_182

Honorable
Nov 7, 2016
Your 'normal' will be better/the same/worse than others with the same hardware, so how to provide a concrete answer to the question? :unsure:

The triple slot gpu cooler and its fans' proximity to that psu shroud... I figure not much air volume passes between the remainin gap for the 3 fans to slurp up, and so the operating temperatures suffer if you try to run lower, and less annoying fan curves.
If there was more space, the fans wouldn't have to work as hard, allowing you to get away with lower fan curves.

The 70s(C) is well within spec for the core temperature.

Thank you. It's actually a dual fan GPU as well, so even less cooling capabilities. 1080p actually doesn't look too bad on my LG C1 4k tv, so I can always cut it down for quieter fans. 1080p also sits around 48c lol.

I guess to restructure the question then, this doesn't sound like it's the GPU being defective? And more just the thermal situation the case/dual fan GPU creates?

Basically I just need to know if i should return this GPU to the ebay seller if any of this seems like a faulty GPU, or keep it with the discount they gave me. (Will make the GPU $400 and is warrantied until 2025 with Asus and was CIB). Seems like it's more than fine, and it's just the best this setup can do given the circumstances.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Umm, triple fan isn't always worse than dual, especially when/if the dual fan models use larger fans. [Looking at you, Noctua version.]

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I am new to 4k in general. I know my rig isn't beefy enough for 4k in some games, but I know for some games with DLSS I should be fine.

I5-12400 + ASUS 3070 KO
Meshify 2 Nano (SFF-ish which also is a factor for temps)

I am running Hellblade:Senua's sacrifice at the following settings. (3 year old game)

I am getting around 70-74 degrees and that's with my fan curve set to 100% at 70 degrees and up. Quite loud.

Is this normal for settings like this? I assume yes because it's pushing 4k, with low raytracing, DLSS on quality, and Medium settings. I get the same performance if I turn Ray tracing off and set the setting to high. (Can't decide which looks better tbh)

Just trying to get a feel for what is normal, I've been out of the game for years now, last had a GTX 1080 and only played 5 or so games on ultra at 1080p. So naturally never had an issue. Just not sure what to expect. I got this GPU off ebay as NEW but it was clearly opened and open box as the sticker steal had fingerprints underneath and fell right off. They are offering a good discount and said they got it from Newegg this way, or I can return it and just buy a new one. Just want to be sure the GPU isn't defective and running much hotter than normal before I keep it.

Thank you so much,

7a1oqdy.jpg
You can adjust your fan curve some. The 3070 starts to throttle the performance @ 83C

Joe_182

Honorable
Nov 7, 2016

That's true! These are pretty big fans. Yeah I like that Noctua version a lot, wouldn't fit in my case sadly. I have a feeling I am going to be getting a bigger case down the road :LOL:

Okay perfect. I appreciate it. I wasn't sure what to expect TBH and when I realized they sold me a "New" card that was clearly opened, I was just worried I was getting scammed in some way.

Thanks again for helping so many times lol

Joe_182

Honorable
Nov 7, 2016
3070 is not considered 4k card so any serious game running at 4K will put heavy load on it. Add small case to that and you should expect high temps. And 70 C is not really high for Ampere cards. IMO that's expected temp in this situation.
Thank you, that's what I figured. I am gonna keep this GPU then, just wanted to be sure before I did.