Question GPU not always detected after restarting PC but works when waking up from sleep ?

cpsuperprosecrets

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
Hi, so I’m in a tricky situation and could really use everyone’s help here.

I have an RTX 2060 GPU and an ASUS H310-M R 2.0 motherboard (there's only one x16 slot so I can't just move the GPU into a different slot, sadly). Sometimes, when I restart my PC, the GPU is not detected. My mobo makes the three beeps that say there is no graphics card inserted, and the display doesn’t show anything. Normally, this is fixable by, when the PC is turning on, holding the GPU slightly forward and to the right (so it fits better in the PCI-E slot), and then the GPU is detected and everything works fine.

The strange thing is that this pretty much only ever happens when I restart the PC – if I put it into sleep mode and wake it up, this issue doesn’t happen, which really confuses me, because surely if the GPU isn’t in the PCIE slot properly it’d just stop working entirely?

I’ve had the PC for about 2 years – and the GPU, when I bought it, was vertically mounted and sagging a little bit – the same thing would happen when the GPU was vertically mounted (ie mobo mounted on the side of the case, GPU hanging off the side), and the same thing would happen, and I put something under the GPU to stop it from sagging, which would let the PC turn on and work properly, but this stopped working too after a while. I then moved the PC into a different case and mounted the mobo horizontally, hoping that the issue would stop, but it didn’t.

Anyway, yesterday, I got a BSOD – for the first time - with the error code VIDEO-MEMORY-MANAGEMENT-INTERNAL, and the usual method of holding the GPU differently didn’t work, so I had to reseat it and screw it in again. This has just confused me even more, I can’t tell if it’s a software or hardware issue at this point. I’m pretty sure it’s nothing to do with drivers because the GPU works fine unless I restart the PC, but I’d appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Is there any way to check if the pins on the GPU are damaged, or perhaps in the PCIE slot? I’d really rather not have to buy another GPU and motherboard to have to check which one isn’t co-operating – at some point, I might have to, but I’d like to try to work it out like this first.

Also, how loose should the GPU be in the slot? Even when it's screwed into the back of the case (not sure what exactly the part at the back where your GPU's output slots go is called), it's still quite loose. Is it meant to be loose, or is it meant to be really tight and rigid? Is this a sign of a damaged PCIE slot if it doesn't hold the GPU in place tightly, or no? I bought the PC prebuilt but second-hand, maybe the slot got damaged in shipping?

Once again, any help would be really helpful, thanks so much.

I'm running windows 10 with the latest Nvidia drivers, but this also happened on previous driver versions.

ASK THE COMMUNITY