[SOLVED] GPU not at 100% usage when playing Fortnite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2020
GPU usage has been around 50%, CPU usage around 20%, CPU temp at 41 degrees, GPU temp at 70 degrees when I am playing Fortnite. I built my PC last year and only recently started looking at things such as FPS and usage. I am wondering if something is bottlenecking my GPU from 100% usage.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
GPU: AMD RX Vega-64
SSD: Kingston A400 240GB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB
MBD: Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING
PSU: EVGA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
If the utility you are using is reporting utilization of the full CPU rather than individual cores, it may report a low value due to the fact that Fortnite is only programmed to make heavy use of a handful of the processor's 8-cores and 16-threads. So while the overall utilization of all cores combined may only be at 20%, one or more cores may be operating at 100%, preventing frame rates from getting any higher.

And if the game's graphics settings are reduced and the resolution is relatively low compared to what the card is capable of, the game may not be utilizing all of the graphics card's resources, as it will be waiting for the CPU to complete its processing tasks before rendering the next frame.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You can try and see if you have BIOS updates pending for your platform. If you have updates to go through, work your way gradually to the latest, do not jump to the latest version.

he next thing to do is see what version of Windows 10 you're on. As of this writing we're on version 20H2. Then you will want to use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers. Source the latest drivers from AMD's support site and manually install them in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Dec 5, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You can try and see if you have BIOS updates pending for your platform. If you have updates to go through, work your way gradually to the latest, do not jump to the latest version.

he next thing to do is see what version of Windows 10 you're on. As of this writing we're on version 20H2. Then you will want to use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers. Source the latest drivers from AMD's support site and manually install them in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
Alright thank you for your help!

If the utility you are using is reporting utilization of the full CPU rather than individual cores, it may report a low value due to the fact that Fortnite is only programmed to make heavy use of a handful of the processor's 8-cores and 16-threads. So while the overall utilization of all cores combined may only be at 20%, one or more cores may be operating at 100%, preventing frame rates from getting any higher.

And if the game's graphics settings are reduced and the resolution is relatively low compared to what the card is capable of, the game may not be utilizing all of the graphics card's resources, as it will be waiting for the CPU to complete its processing tasks before rendering the next frame.

Solution
Dec 5, 2020

Wow. Your comment was extremely helpful. I decided to run fortnite on max settings to see where the GPU usage would stand. It was at 90-100% usage. Thank you for your help.
My main worry was my CPU bottlenecking but it seems game wasn't utilizing all of the GPU's resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS