[SOLVED] GPU not being detected ?

ruchir_ezio

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014
Hi, so I had been getting this issue for a last couple of days that my pc would shut down within 5 mins of launching games or anything graphic intensive. I did the necessary troubleshooting for that issue with stress tests for both cpu and gpu, the issue was either with the GPU or the psu I assumed, but on the other hand in the Heaven benchmark the pc crashed within the first 5 mins but the GPU temps were in the mid 70°c - 75°c range, which I guess isn't alot.

Now I dismounted the GPU hoping that cleaning and reconnecting it might be of help, now when I mount it in, the pc doesn't detect the GPU drivers. In device manager it says the lastest drivers are already installed and gives the error code 43 saying "windows has stopped this device "

I read about some solutions and I followed.
Updated GPU drivers and windows - didn't work
Uninstall GPU drivers and did a clean install - didn't work
Rolled back to previous version of the GPU driver - didn't work
Downloaded and installed a 2019 driver for my GPU - didn't work
Re-installed a clean copy of windows via USB then installed nvidia drivers - didn't work

My configuration is
i7 4790k
16gb DDR3 Corsair vengeance ram
Z97D3H Mobo
Vs 650 Corsair psu
GTX 760 asus
120 gb SSD + 2tb hdd

Solution
Yes I'm happy with 1080p since I have it hooked up on my LG 42" LED tv from 2013 which is 1080p 60hz so that's more than enough resolution and fps for my use case.

Then it's up to you. If you plan to upgrade your whole build get a 2060 if you plan to stick with this build for some years or until it completely dies try getting a 1660/1650. Good luck with the prices tho. They'll be IMMENSELY overpriced.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
You did all you could software wise. Next thing to do is either declaring the gpu or the psu gone by test it into another system or take a leap of faith. I would personally first update that psu since im figuring it's getting old (unless it's the refreshed version that came out in 2019 but given your pc specs i highly doubt it's the v2.0 version). Not to mention that between swapping psu and gpu right now it's the most cost efficient thing you could do. That said that gpu is old too, so it def could be that also. But as i said, between swapping two components that def need an update, it's best to swap the psu first than the gpu in the current market.

Last edited:

ruchir_ezio

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014
If you find a GPU that is. What is the minimum wattage required for this gpu? Unfortunately I don't have a secondary system to test this on. Also no, it's not the 2019 refresh model. I built this desktop back in 2015.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Yeah that's why i suggested looking into update the psu first, unless the vs650 it's the refreshed version that came out 2019. But i highly doubt so given your pc specs and dates.

NVidia suggest min 500w. But again, wattage in a psu is not the end of all things. Because a shi* 750w psu (not saying yours is) could def start having issues at half that load.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
For a 16 not that much, for a 20, i wouldn't go further than a 2060 unless you plan to upgrade your pc very soon. Anything above the 2060 would be heavily bottlenecked, especially at 1080p (or even lower) which i assume that's the resolution you'd want to game with that sort of card with.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Yes I'm happy with 1080p since I have it hooked up on my LG 42" LED tv from 2013 which is 1080p 60hz so that's more than enough resolution and fps for my use case.

Then it's up to you. If you plan to upgrade your whole build get a 2060 if you plan to stick with this build for some years or until it completely dies try getting a 1660/1650. Good luck with the prices tho. They'll be IMMENSELY overpriced.

Solution