GPU not detected after windows 10 update

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jzo123

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2014
Hi,

I have been using my computer for some time, and windows 10 has come out and I was looking forward to using it but it turns out my GPU is not detected. It was working before the update but now its not being listed in the device manager, instead all that is in Display Adapters is Microsoft Basic Video something. The GPU is a GTX770.
Help would be nice.
Thanks!

Alizarin

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015

Was having the same problem, this worked for me! Thank you!
The only difference for me is when I tried to install the video driver, I got an 'installation failed'. I went to my device manager and under 'Other' was a video driver that hadn't been there before with an exclamation on it. Updating this driver brought back my nvidia geoforce under display adapters. After reinstalling the geoforce experience I was able to use the control panel again too

thauzar

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
All was nice and fine for me after the bios update but since the windows update 1151 or whatever it's called, the bios does not detect the graphic card AGAIN. I tried what Alizarin just said but I don't see any option or check box for manual install and I don't get pass the system check. Nothing appeared as other in device manager. Damn U windows update!! Anyone got the same problem?

thauzar

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
A small windows update right after 1511 (like 24 hours later) made my GTX770m visible again but with an error Code 43. I finally ended on a redit post from a guy with the same alienware and same problem. The solution is stupid.
You have to flash your bios with the latest version, even if it's already up to date, and everything works like normal now.

luci_flash

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Confirming that BIOS re-flash (even if it's up to date) works.
My laptop is a Dell 7720SE, so the problem seems to be related to Dell, and Dell related products (Alienware) with Nvidia cards.

I had this problem just after TH2 update; I thought that the problem was the dirty install of TH2 so I made a clean install and the graphics card worked again. Now, 3 weeks after TH2 I had the same problem. Luckily the BIOS flash worked.

thauzar

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015

the only thing different now is that when the desktop wallpaper changes and it's a black and white picture the theme color takes a shade of blue instead of gray like before the Fall Patch. Do you think it's graphic/driver related or something Windows changed voluntarily? Do you also have this problem?

MrCrazyNutz

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
Same issue... definitely update your bios from dell website.. was running A03 and updated to A14... world of difference.
Also as others have said remove old driver files and download and install new win10 drivers from nvidia.

Booyaa

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016

I had the same problem with my GeForce 610, and it took me a while to find the one "driver installation program" that worked. Here is the link for the 610 graphics card driver installer for windows 10 that worked for me: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/87783/en-us

Irc___

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
Hi Guys,

The same issue appears for me after windows update on Windows 10. The Geforce Experience doesn't work and my GPU Nvidia GeForce GT 630M doesn't recognize anymore.

Can you help?

Thanks

pault5668

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016

pault5668

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
I have beta tested several years so for me i'm used to trouble shooting and methodical. I have an Asus Rog which is on fast ring win 10 pro, always ran fine. I upgraded my Clevo to Rtm Win 10 pro from Win 8.1 , upgrade went smooth, however after a few days my clevo errored bsod video error, on reboot, no nvidia gpu showing. I need add it was prema modded, wondered if maybe an issue so reverted to stock bios, no fix, reverted back to win 8.1 still no fix. I believe Bios is altered with win 10 and permanent until reflash bios, it appears the main problems regarding gpu are higher end gaming ones with more than 1 card, intel nvidia if search online, site after site, page after page. The temporary solution was i modded INF files in bios, taking care to mod correctly the subsystem ID . Anyway i was not happy at needing to mod my files when ought not have to, i flashed bios again to Prema, then to a different stock bios, clean installed win 10 pro and loaded and updated, adaptors on, all fine. Nvidia updated to latest version 368.81 , all fine, after an hour or so bsod, same as before, nvidia gpu now not seen as before. This time i had been staring for hours all day so noticed the problem. My nvidia hardware id had somehow just changed from 11E1 to 11E2 , that is why error 31 not same as POSTed and nvidia refusing to install. As before, modding the files and disabling driver signature enforcement on recovery, also making sure repeat it in internet advanced options resolves this. I did contact Microsoft support twice, both remote sessions when pointed it out to them and even showed my fix but requesting to know why win 10 is changing id, they both on reboot, somehow vanished, had my mobile number etc yet i guess too complex, the answer is your hardware id for the gpu has changed more than likely, a check in device manager to see if error 31 will no doubt be there. Not sure why Microsoft refuse address or discuss it, tried previously, seems they have not a clue and therefore we are stuck with it. I suggest flashing bios again and maybe stick to win 7/8/8.1 as a solution until this is resolved maybe...if it ever is that is lol

Honestly I feel like dumping 10 for a while and going back to 7, not even Vista caused issues like this. MS has a ways to go with 10 before it becomes good enough for the rest of us to switch over. Certainly don't want 10 on a forensics workstation!

Nvidia has really dropped the ball with their drivers lately.

IcKxMW

Commendable
Aug 13, 2016
Okie, so I installed the most recent update for Window 10 today only to find that after my SLI 770s were not detected. In short I attempted all the fixes on this forum (plus some) to no avail.

I noticed in my device manager that a Xeon processor was detected alongside my i7 and had an error state indicator, which I found odd since I had never had one installed on this PC (yea, it was right in my face the entire time). I went to my motherboards manufacturers website to download the Intel Chipset and ME, reinstalled both and my devices appeared in device manager.

I hope this is the fix for the rest of you that are still having trouble with the most recent windows update.