GPU not detected. ASRock Ext3 Gen3. Maybe because???

Status
Not open for further replies.

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I've been using my new homebuilt pc for more than a week now, but have one problem that I can't seem to solve. The computer works great with the Intel Integrated graphics (i5 2500k), but when I try to install a new MSI R6870 TwinFrozr II (HD 6870 ati) card... the card never becomes active whether it's in pcie slot 2 or slot 4 (no video signal from the card, but still get vid signal from integrated DVI connector). I have applied the correct settings in BIOS, and those settings are saved correctly but they never actually work to disable the on-board graphics and enable the discrete card. I also get the same results when trying to install a known-to-work HD 5770 card.

BIOS is set to pcie for primary vga, and IGD Multi-Monitor is set to "Disabled". That should make my discrete card work, but doesn't.

After reading threads on other forums, I now feel that the problem is either 2 dead pcie slots, a defective psu (new Corsair GS700), or the need of a custom BIOS flash from ASRock. But I wonder if the problem could really be that the Samsung 830 SSD is formatted with a MBR partition table rather than gpt/UEFI?

Solution

You might have led with "its a known bug in the BIOS" lol. I guess its kinda in there but "custom BIOS flash" doesn't get that across in the first post. i still think virtu might work.

If it was me I'd just flash the most recent BIOS, if that didn't work try virtu. and if that doesn't work get a refund and a board that's not assrock

No, but if u insert the GPU card, it will disable the iGPU automatically.

Can u connect through mobo's DVI/HDMI?

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
That is what I have done several times (with two different cards), but I never get a signal from the cards and if I move the cable to the onboard connector... there the signal is still. I have seen several threads where other people have the same problem, and it seems to be mostly radeon cards that won't work. Some have received a custom BIOS flash from ASRock that fixes the problem (I requested one, but have not received an answer yet-so I'm now grasping for anything that might work).

EDIT: Yes, I've connected everything properly. I haven't tried a different psu yet.

I would try it. Its possible asrock either has a bug in the BIOS, or set it to always output through the board to get around some of the annoyance of setting up virtu. anyway I'd try it just to see if its recognizing the cards at all. some info on setting up virtu. its probably changed some since may 2011 though

edit: forgot the link. wow and again.... its early here
www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2011/05/13/what-is-the-intel-z68-chipset/3

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
@nikorr; Yes the fans spin on each card when they are inserted. Actually, the fans spin even when the pcie power connectors are not connected to the card(s).

@unksol; I believe it's a BIOS bug because the onboard graphics never become disabled, even after setting them to be disabled. That's why I was wondering if there is some hidden secret in using gpt partitioning. But the partitions seem to me an unlikely source for the problem... although I don't really have a clue.

You might have led with "its a known bug in the BIOS" lol. I guess its kinda in there but "custom BIOS flash" doesn't get that across in the first post. i still think virtu might work.

If it was me I'd just flash the most recent BIOS, if that didn't work try virtu. and if that doesn't work get a refund and a board that's not assrock

Solution

well virtu always outputs through the board connectors. even when using the discrete GPU. its possible asrock locked the discrete GPU to always output through the board, either accidentally or on "purpose" to make setting it up easier. just a thought. might work once the software is installed. heck the discrete GPU might be outputting through the board now. just throwing it out there

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
You might have led with "its a known bug in the BIOS" lol.
True, I should have stated that initially. But I've also seen threads and reviews where people were successfully using the same card with no problems. My mobo came with the latest BIOS (1.30), and the only other one available is a beta version more than two months old. My main question is whether the lack of the small efi partition could be the source of the problem (like, maybe some BIOS information is stored there... or it's necessary to exist before BIOS settings actually become activated?).

heck the discrete GPU might be outputting through the board now
I did consider the possibility. However, the card was not recognized in either Windows or Linux and when I tried anyway to install the drivers, just got a failed error.

Yes I did clear the CMOS during two of my attempts.

bout that time here to. lucid software may let you try the drivers. that beta might be worth trying too. I wouldn't be horribly surprised if that's what they are sending to people as a custom BIOS with a warning. you'd think they'd have to be working on it

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Well, I was gonna install the Lucid Virtu software but it slaps me with a Catch-22 predicament. The instructions say the drivers for my card must be installed before Lucid. I can't install the drivers because my card is not detected. I'll continue searching for a solution.

I wonder what would happen if u would try to boot the DVD W7 disc, if that would have a different result : )
I had already tried that early on. No video signal from the discrete card, only from integrated gpu output.

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I want to put the final word out on this thread. This motherboard is defective and should be sent back rma, but I've managed to get it working satisfactorily for now (and won't need to be without a computer during the return process, which is very important to me).

How I finally got a video signal from the MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II card:
I put a video card in EACH pcie slot at the same time (no crossfire bridge though). Once I had both cards inserted and plugged in, I immediately got a signal from the #2 slot (and no signal from the #4 slot or the onboard graphics outputs). If I removed the card from the #4 slot, the #2 slot would go dead and the signal would revert to the onboard output. But with both slots occupied, the card in slot #2 functions just as it should.

The downside, of course, is that I'm wasting a perfectly good card in slot #4 solely as a means to get the other slot working normally (but only for a little while). I'll order a new board next week (probably a different mfgr) and when it arrives and is confirmed to work, will rma the ASRock board. And I'll have a working computer during the whole process.

Story over.

Status
Not open for further replies.