Question GPU not detected by motherboard, but different GPU detected

Oct 21, 2018
Hey everyone, I'm just really stumped right now and can't find a possible explanation for what I'm experiencing.

I have an i5 8400 on a Gigabyte Z370M DS3H board. It used to have a Palit GTX 1070 Super Jetstream attached to it. My friend and I were supposed to swap cards, his was a Zotac GTX 1080 Amp Extreme. When we connected my card to his, it worked no problem. When we connected his card to mine, there is no display and Device Manager only shows the igpu. Had to plug directly to motherboard to check this.

We connected his 1080 back to his rig and it worked no problem. We also put my 1070 back on mine and it worked fine. I tried connecting both 8 pin (the power connector was an 8 + 6 + 2 combo) connectors to my 1070 and both worked. We also tried connecting his 1080 on another rig and again, worked no problem.

Another thing I tried was remove the motherboard from the case because it was quite small, and run it without a case although that didn't work either. Also tried cleaning the contact pins of the gpu, to no avail once again.

Could anyone help provide an explanation or has anyone experienced a similar case?

Thanks

Oct 21, 2018
maybe your psu isnt capable of handling the 1080? then again usually when that happens you get a black screen. or some driver issue.

I did some additional things and I just feel enen more stumped now. I connected the GTX 1080 on my girlfriend's rig, and it worked no problem. I plugged her RX 570 on my rig and it worked no problem. Ran DDU. I tried using her 500W 80+ White PSU on my rig with the 1080, and still no display. Ran DDU again. For reference, I have a 600W 80+ White PSU so it should have been powerful enough to run the 1080. If my PCIE slot was damaged, it shouldn't have read the other cards. Sigh

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
it could be some malfunction on your system psu. and which powersupply do you have (exact brand,model), id suggest you getting a good quality one, something like and EVGA g2/g3 or seasonic focus plus gold or better, PSU.

also never try to run a daily system on a unreliable or low quality powersupply even if its 1k watts for example. toms has a list of good quality psu or you can google for a tier list of quality make powersupplies.

i cant stress how important it is to have a good quality psu.

Oct 21, 2018
it could be some malfunction on your system psu. and which powersupply do you have (exact brand,model), id suggest you getting a good quality one, something like and EVGA g2/g3 or seasonic focus plus gold or better, PSU.

also never try to run a daily system on a unreliable or low quality powersupply even if its 1k watts for example. toms has a list of good quality psu or you can google for a tier list of quality make powersupplies.

i cant stress how important it is to have a good quality psu.

My PSU is an FSP Hammer 600W 80+ White one. My girlfriend's PSU is also a basic FSP 500W 80+ White PSU. I tried her PSU on my system to try and rule out a PSU problem but the card isn't detected. Tried her PSU on her system with the GTX 1080 installed on hers, and the 1080 can be detected there.